1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling resources on TES

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by decj, Aug 9, 2016.

1. decj

decj New commenter

Hi,
    I am considering selling some of my vast collection of home-made resources through the TES, but I'm wondering if it's worth the time and trouble. In the FAQ I cannot find any reference to how much money is actually paid. Do any of you upload resources and would you mind giving me a ball-park idea of how much money can be made please?
    Thank you so much.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Most people who post here object to any of the resources being 'paid for' ones. Chance of you making a living from it or anything like enough to be considered an 'income supplement' is almost nil.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  3. decj

decj New commenter

Thank you caterpillartobutterfly. I suspected as much. I also agree with you but am down on my luck financially at the moment, so I'm just exploring where I might make a bit extra. Hey ho... I'll look elsewhere!

4. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

I made money from my resources between January & June to use it as holiday spends. It won't pay a mortgage, certainly not for me, but with good quality resources you'll begin to make regular sales. Check out the FAQs for authors for more information.

Best wishes.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  5. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

This attitude is such a shame. It is still early days here but on the 'other' site lots of people make resources full time or earn as much from selling online as they do from their teaching. It is possible it just takes time and hard work.

CurriculumForAutism and mrajlong like this.
  6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Have to disagree with you caterpillar. I have definitely supplemented my income - certainly by more than a TLR would have done. Jeez, if the government weren't gonna give me a pay rise (for well over 5 years) and I'm struggling to pay the bills, moving up UPS is a minefield, moving schools for more pay is pretty much impossible and it's too late to change professions then I had to think of some way to make ends meet. Thank God for TES!

7. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I am with @caterpillartobutterfly Personally, I would not pay for resources on here. I don't think you can adequately see the quality of the resource, and to be fair, i don't know the person from Adam. At least with other sites ( i use activehistory) I know the author and I know their reputation within the education sphere.

On top of this as a young teacher I always used TES and it was a godsend. I even added my own resources to repay the favour. It was much better this way. It is how I got involved in the forums. I resent the fact that the platform has changed and people are trying to make money on many of which seem bang average resources*. It is against the spirit of the site for me.

* i am not directing this at anyone in particular and certainly anyone on this thread. Simply my view of most of the history resource people are asking for payment of a few quid for. Unsurprisingly many have no purchases...

staw likes this.
  8. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

My resources take me hours, days, weeks to produce. Are far superior to anything I've seen on e.g. ******. And could potentially save schools hundreds of pounds. I work everyday of the holidays barring Sundays to try and make a better life for my family. I've never received a review below 4 stars either. What are people really upset about here? The fact there is a small payment for my hard graft or the fact they can't do it, or can't be bothered to do it, themselves. Do you have the same feelings towards jk rowling who was planning her books whilst teaching in Portugal? Maybe she should have shared her 7 year graft to write the first book for free. I really don't understand. There is plenty of mediocre to great free stuff out there and still on tes. If you want a bit more you may have to pay and sometimes you may be disappointed. Exercise your right to leave a review and ask for a refund. That is how a free market protects the consumer. Please stop moaning on these forums, just don't buy anything and leave us to it.

9. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

@decj Drop us a line at authors@tes.com and we'll be happy to discuss with you and give you some guidance :)

10. wilkieway

wilkieway New commenter

What we are in effect trying to do is to sell our intellectual property. As a book author for a major publishing company I receive royalties but as soon as the product is electronic, purchasers think it should be free or very cheap. The purchaser does not consider the time taken or the cost involved in having a E book made. The amount of free resources online make it virtually impossible to make a living out of digital resources unless you are a real whizz at marketing. Having just spent a whole day on marketing in my business the bucks per hour are minimal.

krisgreg30 likes this.
  11. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

That's why I prefer *** already after less than a week on there as there is an acceptance that if teachers have worked hard on creating resources they deserve to be rewarded financially for it.

CurriculumForAutism and Charleei like this.