1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling off more family silver!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Oct 13, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The UK government has delivered the sale of the bulk of its last remaining stake in Royal Mail, selling 13 per cent of the shares in the company for £591.1m.

Did we ever vote for this and the other sell offs?

Jeremy Corbyn is right in proposing re-nationalising and he will get my vote if it is in Labours manifesto.

2. BobbyPhilips

BobbyPhilips Established commenter

Unlikely. Nandy has already said they won't nationalise energy and the state already owns the railway infrastructure. (Railways won't be any cheaper or better, but we will be able blame the state for it.) Powell has also backtracked on academies which won't be brought under LA control.

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Time will tell BP. 4.5 years is a very very long time in politics.

4. BobbyPhilips

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

6. BobbyPhilips

Do you consider The New Statesman right wing?

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

No.

8. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

No. And we have never been given a choice under any government. There's nothing different with this one.

Then you would be wasting your vote. Whether it's in the manifesto or not he will not be able to do it under EU rules. He or anyone else. Lots of people would like to see the railways re-nationalised but it's impossible. We would have to leave the EU to do it. What surprises me is that as one of his main polices he did not look into its legality before trumpeting loudly that he would do it. Or anyone else who backed him. He obviously has very poor and uninformed advisers around him. Amazing that he and they hope to be running the country in 5 years time when they are so ignorant. LOL

Vladimir likes this.
  9. WaylonWu

Which would be better than having an anonymous body who don't listen to their passengers.

Vladimir likes this.
  10. WaylonWu

I think they're much more than "teething" problems. I'm not surprised there are tensions within the PLP when this is going on

"MPs believe that McDonnell's U-turn was due to his failure to realise that the fiscal charter mandated an absolute budget surplus (leaving no room to borrow to invest), rather than merely a current budget surplus. "A huge joke" was how a furious John Mann described it."

This is another example of ignorance within Corbyn's team. I've also been left "unimpressed" by McDonald and his loose grip on legalities and issues. To be fair it is a bit of a joke when Corbyn's main nominee and campaign manager doesn't understand the difference between an absolute budget surplus and current budget surplus when he's the shadow finance minister! I wouldn't put the blame on him for Corbyn's ignorance on not knowing the EU forbid re-nationalising the railways. That's Corbyn's sole responsibility. But between them their ignorance on such fundamental issues such as these preclude them from being able to run a country's affairs in a realistic manner. But they seem too ignorant to understand this!

11. BobbyPhilips

The state owns the infrastructure. Private companies pay for fixed term licences to use it.All that needs to be done is wait for licence expiry. Then just buy some trains, hire some people.

lexus300 likes this.
  12. WaylonWu

No that can't be done despite them owning the infrastructure. It would be against EU competition rules. The government have to ensure a certain level of competition among companies according to the EU. It's just not possible regardless of how many people would want it to happen. Even a referendum on it would be rejected by the EU! But then we know over 70% of our laws are made by them anyway.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Time will tell. BTW mockery often bites back.

14. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Corbyn is a senile, old fool!

Just being pedantic here, but, regarding the title of the thread, silver is currently fetching a very poor price on the market. Better off just selling off the country. No, wait...oh...too late!

WaylonWu likes this.
  15. WaylonWu

?

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Apart from your unjustified first sentence i agree.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

18. WaylonWu

Maybe. But don't you think it's unlikely when they are so uninformed about EU rules and budget surpluses and otherwise? Also, Corbyn was against us staying in the EU but did you notice that he wouldn't come out in the open about that while campaigning? No doubt in case he lost support. Now if he's about saying what he believes, as some like to think, why wouldn't he be open about his stance on the EU? Why tip toe around the issue? And I believe it's true that he was put under pressure to climb down on his EU stance after threats he would be voted out by his own party. How does this make him a person of his word who will campaign on his beliefs? I can't see any difference between him and all the others.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I think a little more time is necessary before judgement WW., similar thoughts have started with me but I will give him a little more time to clarify his position.

20. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

That's not actually true as european courts found when they attempted to bring Germany to book

lexus300 likes this.