1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Selling' Letters and Sounds to 'experienced' TAs.....

Discussion in 'Primary' started by giraffe77, May 30, 2011.

1. Evening all!
    I have been given the unenviable task of introducing, and putting a system of assessment and teaching in place for Letters and Sounds. We have previously been using a mish-mash of RWI, Jolly Phonics and other schemes, such as Letts.
    Because the 'system' in place at the moment is a bit higgledy-piggledy, we would like to put Letters and Sounds into place, so we know which phase our children are in all the way through the school, if necessary, and how to take their learning forward.
    We are an outstanding school, renowned for our children's ability in reading, and our TAs are very experienced (but often 'old-fashioned' in the way they are deployed in the classroom, sitting in the corner doing individual readers all day). Our system works!! ......and is therefore very difficult to change!
    I don't want to change the system much, but our children at the moment are not getting 20 mins of whole-class phonics teaching per day. I think I'll do a tracking system and planning format, explaining what we need as a school, and then do lesson observations / planning scrutiny in the future.
    Think I'm going to get 'tutted' at regardless, but I'd like to keep the tuts at a minimum...I don't mind a few tuts here and there, but I'd like everyone to get behind the new system, being positive about it from the outset! There is a bit of bad feeling about failed phonic schemes in the past (for various reasons that I won't go into now), so I was wondering if anyone had any presentations, resources, handouts, or generally, words of wisdom for me in this fairly daunting task! Will also be my first piece of INSET in front of our new Head and Chair of Govs! eeeek! :-/
    Thanks in advance!

2. Evening all!
    I have been given the unenviable task of introducing, and putting a system of assessment and teaching in place for Letters and Sounds. We have previously been using a mish-mash of RWI, Jolly Phonics and other schemes, such as Letts.
    Because the 'system' in place at the moment is a bit higgledy-piggledy, we would like to put Letters and Sounds into place, so we know which phase our children are in all the way through the school, if necessary, and how to take their learning forward.
    We are an outstanding school, renowned for our children's ability in reading, and our TAs are very experienced (but often 'old-fashioned' in the way they are deployed in the classroom, sitting in the corner doing individual readers all day). Our system works!! ......and is therefore very difficult to change!
    I don't want to change the system much, but our children at the moment are not getting 20 mins of whole-class phonics teaching per day. I think I'll do a tracking system and planning format, explaining what we need as a school, and then do lesson observations / planning scrutiny in the future.
    Think I'm going to get 'tutted' at regardless, but I'd like to keep the tuts at a minimum...I don't mind a few tuts here and there, but I'd like everyone to get behind the new system, being positive about it from the outset! There is a bit of bad feeling about failed phonic schemes in the past (for various reasons that I won't go into now), so I was wondering if anyone had any presentations, resources, handouts, or generally, words of wisdom for me in this fairly daunting task! Will also be my first piece of INSET in front of our new Head and Chair of Govs! eeeek! :-/
    Thanks in advance!

3. http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/84969

there's a heap of stuff on here and a powerpoint about introducing P1 and how it works with the EYFS not additional too
    I don't know if there are PP's for other phases but the section on principles should give you a strat point
    Apologies if you have already seen this

4. Thanks for that; the reception teachers are sorted, and have been using Letters and Sounds in a more structured way this year; it's more Years 1, 2 and 3 I'm concerned about.
    Also how do you know where to first assess children, or would you start with Phase 2 assessments for all children, and see how far they get?

5. I would always check phonological awareness before checking and phoneme grapheme correspondences to ensure all the foundations are in place. I actually find this is something that needs continual reinforcement through to Y6
    Then yes I would look at a piece of independent writing or dictated writing to ascertain what phonic skills they have and guage any further assessmnets from there
    e.g. If he can orally blend, segment, identify iniial/final/medial sound, alliterate, generate rhymes he is ready for phonics
    then if he can read,write and spell CVC words he is likely secure in P2
    If he is using digraphs - sh, th, ch he is well into P3
    ETC through the phases

Then I would use a specific assessment of the phase from L & S. there are some fab recording sheets in the TES resource bank
    Hope that makes some sense
    x

6. As a parent whose child struggled with aspects of Jolly Phonics, could I suggest you ensure phonics teaching is systematic? By this I mean that words are introduced only when children are familiar with the graphemes and phonemes that make them up.
    My son's Jolly Phonics workbooks introduced words like 'curly' and 'caterpillar' when he had only mastered satpin and c. From what I've seen, Letters and Sounds is more systematic.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

That has nothing to do with JP but everything to do with a teacher who isn't aware of your son's phonics knowledge. Having said that I don't like the JP story books.
    Letters & Sounds [​IMG] no resources and very slow IMHO