1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling in the US

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by TheGingerTeacher, Aug 2, 2015.

1. kibishipaul

kibishipaul New commenter

Hi,

My first visit to this forum, which took me a while to find. Not sure if I need an invite, but that level of confusion extends to the rest of my exploration of TES as well, so excuse me for jumping in. I have also posted a few resources on the US site. Not many views, but much to my surprise, I did sell one this week. Admittedly it was Halloween related which may have done the trick!

Only been here since September, and am quite happy with the response to my shop so far, but early days...

2. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Hi! Welcome!

Congrats selling something US!

3. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

Same here- I started uploading but judging by the very few views the products I have uploaded actually have, it hasn't been my priority.
    I did sell one product and I do intend to put my others up.
    Not sure what is stopping me really....

4. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Hi, I have had an account for over 6 years with TES and uploaded and shared many of my teaching resources freely throughout that time. I opted to upload premium resources two weeks ago and am delighted with the response so far. I have always tailor made resources for my classes and was often told by colleagues that there would be a market for them.
    However, I was intrigued to hear about your experiences of the American market. I opened a shop on *** last year and uploaded several lesson bundles at a very competitive price. My resources are detailed and comprehensive but the response has been very slow. I offered several freebies which were downloaded often but rarely a review was posted. I agree that the commission taken is huge. Just interested if you have had similar experiences. I will continue to upload resources to 'build up' my stock in both shops.

5. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

That is interesting. Do you mind me asking what subject area you teach?
    I started uploading to *** in May and TES in August.
    I have certainly had more success on *** so far (about double the sales). However, as TES continue to make changes so it is more user friendly for both buyers and sellers I am convinced I am seeing more UK sales.
    I will welcome the day when more info is available re analytics of sales so I really compare the markets. I am very tuned in to what the *** market respond to but it takes much more effort to analyse what my UK customers prefer.
    I do believe that the potential is there for this to go as big as ***- with the right support from TES and a slight shift in thinking so that some faculty money be directed towards purchasing quality digital resources and we could see a UK wide collaborative chain reaction. Or is that just wishful thinking on my part...?!!
    I would certainly persevere with ***- it took until I had 20 excellent products in my store before sales started to come in daily. As for TES, I can go days without a sale but then several all at once.

6. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Hi,
    My resources are mainly literacy based with a few maths resources. I have uploaded several that deal specifically with developing writing throughout mainstream primary. This area is often one where children struggle to 'bring together' all the aspects of literacy as well as the technical skills of punctuation and handwriting. I ensure that there is an active approach but always backed by solid teaching. My impression of the popular resources on *** is that they seem obsessed with literacy centres. Could be wrong but I envisage children endlessly rotating around group tables with little direct teaching! I have had a lot more success on TES both before with my free resources and now with my premium resources. Perhaps the fact that they state where you live could influence buyers? Anyway, I wish good luck to all my fellow teachers who are 'at the chalkface' .

7. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

TES can certainly learn a few things from ***. If you pay £50 yearly you get a far higher percentage profit margin from each sale. It is also a site where you are almost guaranteed a review upon sale with the chance for you to comment. Why not include this TES, I.e. The ability to comment on a review?