1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling in the US

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by TheGingerTeacher, Aug 2, 2015.

1. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

Well Charleei, what do you think about this 'selling in the US' business? Hmmmm?

I know it is still just me talking to myself but I live in hope someone else will be along one day soon!

2. betsybelleteach

betsybelleteach New commenter

Stop talking to yourself Charleei! ;) I'm intrigued by this as well. I suddenly noticed the UK/US button at the top of the resource bank page. I believe we will get 100% commission for the rest of the year- can't argue with that.

I sell on *** in US and they take a huge chunk through commission and seller fees so this is a very welcome prospect in my opinion. *** is predominantly used by primary teachers in the US so good luck to TES breaking the high school market over there!

3. TheGingerTeacher

Hello!! Wow someone came!

Nice to meet you. :)

Yes I sell on *** as well. I am wondering how TES will compete.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I was emailed by TES about selling in the US but have great doubts about the 'press this button to get a US version'. Child language (my topic) is so very different between US and UK (well, actually adult language is pretty different too!). But as you say no fees would be nice... Have you seen a preview about what the button does to your resource? I guess some would 'translate' more easily than others.

5. TheGingerTeacher

I would think there are more issues than just the language? Money for one, grade / year differences?

I just not sure how they would make this work?

6. languageisheartosay

Yeah - I think there was something about 'just' changing the pound sign for a dollar sign - all sounds a bit unlikely! I check my texts for kids again a couple of the US levels (because they cover the right age group) and have to check the grade/age thingy every time.

7. TheGingerTeacher

Well I will give it a try and see what happens...

8. languageisheartosay

Do report how many changes occurred when you made the 'US version' if you have time.

9. TheGingerTeacher

Yeah will get back to you and keep you updated.

10. Goodeyedeers

Goodeyedeers New commenter

Thanks for the invite to join this sellers group Charleei.

I've put about 5 of our resources on the US site - as much to see how easy it was as anything else and it was easy. Had a few views (not many) and no sales yet but it seemed worth giving it a go. Competing with *** is going to be a big issue for TES but at least they're having a go.

11. TheGingerTeacher

Hi! Welcome to our merry little forum :)

I agree it will be hard for them to compete *** are huge.

So did they just change the currency? I'm not sure why they ask you to relist if they are only changing the currency...

12. Goodeyedeers

The set up is very similar you have to say what grades it is aimed at and also the US subject categories are different to the UK. But it was very straightforward. I also needed to make one or two changes on the files because I had talked about Key Stages or year groups. At the moment I have put 5 of the resources I had up for UK across to the US site. It's early days - we haven't quite taken America by storm!!

13. Goodeyedeers

Is anyone using the US site to sell their resources and if so how much success are you having?

We've put 4 or 5 resources up but have had no sales and nowhere near the number of views we are getting in the UK, even with our 'freebie'. Must be doing something wrong but, as yet, haven't worked out what!

Mike

14. TheGingerTeacher

I thought I would give it a try so I listed only one of mine as UK and US. The UK version has sold 10 copies and had 168 views, the US one has 9 views and no sales.....

15. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Why are some UK resources converted to US versions and not others, do you think? Also, some of my resources have taken their reviews with them and some haven't.

Is there a way to convert/copy a resource to a US version yourself (i.e. if they've been missed out)?

16. TheGingerTeacher

There is a button at the top of the page when you edit a resource that says 'make US version' click that and off you go...

Don't know about reviews and things, sorry

17. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I still can't see that - which page/stage is it on?

18. TheGingerTeacher

After you have made the resource and published it, if you then go into your resources and click on the little pencil to edit it at the top of the page before you start editing it has a button to make it US.

Hope that helps

19. topiclub

topiclub New commenter

Hi, just wondered if anyone has tried to add a US resource lately? I thought I knew how to do it, but I think the screens have changed and I can't see the button anywhere!

20. TheGingerTeacher

I haven't really been working on that side as it isn't very successful for me, but then again maybe because I haven't been working on it.... that's the cycle?