1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Selling German to Yr7

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I need to attract lots of Year 7's to choose German because it's in danger of losing popularity. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good introductory lesson with lots of cognates. Shall I do numbers/food/ ??? Any ideas? Any good songs? Hilfe Bitte!

2. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Do you perhaps mean:

"more people in the EU speak German as their native language than any other, English included"?

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

Contact the Goethe Institute for some of their resources that address this issue,ask them for advice and get hold of some of the fun stuff and posters etc. that they produce. Look at their Primary support if necessary. They are working really hard to keep German going in schools!

4. Yes, of course, thanks for correcting. When reading this now, I wonder myself what I meant :D. Seems my Master's thesis is killing my brain ;-).

5. zrcadlo

zrcadlo New commenter

Hi, I know it's not a 'taster lesson' as you were asking for, but I used to do a session with Year 7 on how many amazingly long/silly/sweary-sounding words you can make with German. Kids were always impressed by 'Bundesausbildungsfoerderungsgesetz' and the good old 'Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitaenswitwe', and also that you can say 'dick' and 'fahrt' in lessons and get away with it! It sounds facetious I know but it did actually work and my levels of German uptake were quite high, sometimes higher than Spanish.
    The other thing we had in place which was quite handy was a short trip (3 days) to Christmas markets in year 8, which they could only sign up for if they decided to study German as first or second language. This did also definitely help, and the trip did motivate them to keep trying through year 8 and 9 (well most of them anyway).
    Will think on and let you know if anything else falls into my mind

6. I agree. The emphasis needs to be on doing some activities which are attractive to the children. In my school (Istanbul) we contacted the Goethe Institute and they sent us a 'fun bus' with lots of games and activities which required no prior knowledge of German, but which taught the children basic vocabulary (colours, some verbs etc.). The visit had a very positive impact, as the numbers who choose to take German in September increased significantly.