1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selling Down's Syndrome hate wear ... just despicable

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It sounds more like an appalling case of clever-dick advertising than actual hate to me.

sooooexcited and nomad like this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I suspect this is more ignorance than hate - believing that Down's must be eradicated because they think those with Down's don't have quality of life. That's anything but true. It may be hard work for their families and the lower life expectancy may cause some heartbreak but noone who has ever known someone with Down's syndrome or someone with a Down's child could doubt the love and joy they bring.

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

It's dangerous how some decide that those who don't fit their definition of 'perfect' shouldn't exist. At what point is a person 'worthy' of life? If they come from a 'group' more prone to certain diseases/are hard work due to their ND, is it ok to say they shouldn't exist?
    It should surprise me how many of those who declare themselves to be 'woke' and screech about how we must all be proud feminists and anti-racists actually promote discrimination against people with disabilities. It doesn't, though.

5. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I'd say never - all people deserve to exist, but your question might be better directed at those marketing the tshirts. In fact I'd go further, and say that all people not only have the right to exist, but also deserve the same opportunities and to have their basic needs (food, shelter, education, healthcare) met, regardless of disability, gender, race, religion, country of birth or ability to pay.
    Noone's defeinding it, just saying it's more a consequence of ignorance than hate.
    And I'm not sure that those who oppose discrimination against women or on the basis of race are more likely to disciminate against those with disabilities - in fact I'd say the opposite is true. Unless, of course, you have someone in mind you're having a nark at?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The ignorant and callow adspeople who came up with the extinction slogan clearly had no idea what their words really suggested. Crass insensitivity, not hate.

7. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

There's an autism one, too.