1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

selling books

Discussion in 'Book club' started by jonowen, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I looked into the "Trade In" facilty on Amazon last week and reviewed it today meaning to send off my books tomorrow and Amazon are now offering me less than before! I decided to browse elsewhere and there are so many traders I'm confused. Canb anyone recommend where I can sell on books? I'm not looking for much money, as most of them I bought for my Chartered Teacher studies and this has now been suspended (and will probably be discontinued), but they may be of use to someone.
    Thanks in advance.

2. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Oh I didn't realise it was a trade-in facility, I just thought people sold their books there - I have bought lots of books from private individuals and small companies through Amazon.

If ever I want a particular book I look at Amazon. It tends to be cheaper than Ebay - although that might not recommend it to you I suppose.

Isn't this thread on another forum too?

3. jonowen

Hi Kitty, I think this "Trade-in" is a new thing for people to sell books for Amazon to sell 2nd hand and by-pass the private individuals. I think Amazon are great but was surprised to see my trade-in price had dropped in 3 days!
    Yes, I have posted this thread on the Chartered Teachers site (Scotland) as most of what I've to sell was bought for CT studies.
    Have you any idea where I may sell books?

4. Best sites are-
    www.biblio.co.uk
    www.alibris.co.uk
    www.abebooks.co.uk
    www.amazon.co.uk
    All the above are free to list apart from abebooks who charge subscription. Hope this helps.

5. jonowen

Thank you Paul, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

6. If you are selling on Amazon, beware that their postage cost is set at a maximum and it may not cover the cost of big textbooks. I can't see there being much of a market for chartered teacher books these days, sadly.

7. jonowen

Thanks Airy!
    Just thought maybe some cash-strapped student-teacher may thank me for these reasonably priced books.
    The Trade-In facility on Amazon allows you to print off a FREE address label.