1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

selling books - best way?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylegs, Dec 30, 2010.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

They DO take a cut, but it's still the quickest way to shift books, as long as you list yours cheaper than everyone else, otherwise there is no point.

2. eBay used to be good for selling stuff, but its getting harder and harder to make any profit from it these days. They charge 10% of the final cost, the PayPal charge about 5% of the final cost. They set postage rates ridiculously low so it costs more to send the package than they allow you to charge, especially for bigger, bulkier books. I haven't used Amazon before so not sure what that's like for charges.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Just found an old recipet.
    From £23 plus £1.99 P&P Amazon took £5
    on a £3.99 book (plus 1.99 p&P) Amazon took £1.76...
    Don't know if thats the kind of going rate for Ebay?

4. On Ebay you set your own postage but buyers now rate you on how reasonable it is, so you are under considerable pressure to keep it low. It means you really have to check the postage before you list, or you are in danger of losing on it. It does prevent people making extra money on postage though.
    For books, Amazon is definitely best.
    I do agree that it is hard to make money on Ebay unless you have something that is very sought-after.
    They do sometimes do free listings weekends, worth looking out for.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

For a one off sale like yours, I would use Gumtree.

6. You have to be careful with the postage on ebay - I recently sold some shoes on there and set the postage at £6 (which I didn't think was unreasonable for shoes). The winner got the item for £1.44 (on a pair of brand new leather shoes), paid and sent them off. I then received negative feedback from them because the postage was too high - you would think that if she thought the postage had been too high she wouldn't have bid! Anyway, I ended up having to refund the postage costs.

7. My information may be out of date as I have not done it for a while...
    Amazon is better for selling books which are not too heavy- they have a set rate for postage which is too low for heavy books but you make a small profit from small books.... They do not charge a listing fee but take a cut when you sell, this means nothing is lost from unsold books. It is also easier as you type in ISBN/title and it finds the books for you- no need to take photos etc. You get paid directly into bank account so avoid paypal fees. You have no risk of a non-payer
    I have found books harder to shift on ebay.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The trick to selling anything on eBay is to add the exact cost of postage to your chosen starting price then list the item as 'Postage Free'. Get a set of kitchen scales and a postage charges list from your local PO, and weigh each item, bearing in mind the dimensions of the package is now part of the calculation, not just the weight. Also check completed listings to get an idea of a realistic starting price for your item. It's often better to set this a bit lower than you'd like to attract more bidders. Always sell items individually unless they make up a distinct set. To be honest, books aren't easy to sell on eBay as there's a lot of competition.

Also there is considerable pressure on eBay for you to list all books as Postage Free to prevent postage rip-offs.

Ask your school office to keep any used Jiffy bags for you. Photocopier paper boxes also make good free packaging.

If you have to buy Jiffy bags, buy them in bulk on eBay rather than in dribs and drabs from local shops - it's much cheaper.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

if you sell postage included doesn't ebay take a cut of that as the work on the final selling price..........where as they dont if you lst postage seperatly?

10. That's exactly what they do. And its exactly why they now have maximum postage costs (eg. for DVDs the max. postageis £2, even if the item is a box set!) - that way they get maximum money from any sales. Used to sell loads on eBay but haven't sold anything for a while now, its just not worth the hassle.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Swings and roundabouts. 'Free Postage' is psychologically more attractive to buyers, especially when selling smaller items in a very competitive market like DVDs, CDs, Books etc. It can be the difference between receiving some bids and getting no bids at all.

I'd rather pay eBay a few pence extra than get no bids at all because I displayed a separate postage charge.