1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sell By Date

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by himself, May 23, 2011.

1. I recently started a new Assistant Head post at 50 years of age. I would love to be a headteacher one day but am fully aware that I would need to undertake NPQH. By the time I have a couple of years AHT experience, and then NPQH (if accepted) I will be around 53. Is this too old for a first Headteacher post? (I look younger by the way, if that helps, ha ha!!!).
    Are people in thier fifties even considered for NPQH? I would hate to waste anyones time, or my own.
    I still feel I have a lot to offer the profession - and pupils - and plan to work until I'm 66! If I did seek a HT post at 53 I could offer a potential school 13 years.
    I would appreciate your honest answers - in my next life I will aim not to be such a late developer[​IMG]
    Thanks.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

When I left my first headship the governors appointed a man who was 53 as my successor. I can't say whether or not many governing bodies would, of course - but I suspect that the main reason so many heads seem to be very young is that older colleagues are simply not applying.
    Good luck to you - keep going!