1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selfie while driving?... wait, what?!?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 10, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

LINK to story [AOL just really long link]

Motorists could soon face a 'drive-safe' mode being added to their phones in a Government bid to cut road fatalities.

With nine per cent of drivers admitting to taking a selfie behind the wheel in the past nine months, ministers are considering promoting apps that automatically lock phones when travelling at more than 5mph. The number of drivers taking a selfie was found through an Institute of Advanced Motorists poll.

Phone manufacturers could even be requested to install the apps as standard.

However, some problems have already been highlighted – namely, making sure that the technology can differentiate between someone driving a car or travelling on public transport – and making sure phones don't cut out for users of the latter.

Who are these idiots and why are they on the roads at the same time as me?

InkyP and FrankWolley like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

What about phones that connect to the car? I love my handsfree bluetooth for music and calls and I see some cars will even read you texts. How about we just prosecute people caught using their phone while driving.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

For a moment I thought you wanted to take selfies...

Yeah does seem a bit blanket [massively]... what about passengers? The kids in the back?

4. Flere-Imsaho

I'm not a selfie fan at the best of times.

lanokia likes this.
  5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You use your phone while driving. See above. What do you really mean?

6. Flere-Imsaho

I don't use the phone. I talk to the car and the car uses the phone. The phone can be in the boot.

7. FritzGrade

Obviously you are using it. It has been shown that having a phone conversation while driving reduces safety. So it should be banned?

8. Flere-Imsaho

Only if talking to passengers is also banned.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

http://www.businessinsider.com/talk...lphone-is-as-bad-as-driving-drunk-2013-8?IR=T

Here's the research:

10. FritzGrade

They are not equivalent as shown above.

11. Flere-Imsaho

Eek.
    I wonder if depends on the handsfree system. The old ones you still had to fiddle with it to start and end the call or have headphones and stuff on.

12. Flere-Imsaho

That myth busters has them actually using a phone in their hand not handsfree. And the other tests often mix handheld and handsfree and the alcohol impairment is under the legal limit. It's not quite as clear cut as you're making out.

13. FritzGrade

Handsfree considerably worse than in car conversations. I know. I do it.