1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self-Sabotage of Written Work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CSWild, Jan 28, 2016.

1. CSWild

CSWild New commenter

Hi all, I have a Y1 pupil who has speech delay and is cognitively high functioning. To give a rough idea, he is in a mixed EYFS/Y1 class and isn't quite keeping up with the EYFS children. His frustration at the reactions of others and his inability to communicate his ideas and understanding has led to a tendency to 'self-sabotage' his work. He displays a very short attention span and will spoil all written work. His understanding is clear, but demonstrating it is a challenge. He regularly sees the SALT and Ed Phych, but I wonder if anyone out there has experienced something similar and has any clever thoughts/ideas.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I became very good at identifying possible triggers and removing work/tools from the child. On top of that, I slathered on the positive praise. A supportive SMT is neccessary too.