1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self-registration

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ucan2, Mar 18, 2012.

1. In the first term my children self-registered by putting their picture, then name, onto a chart. This term we have moved on to sitting on the carpet and answering to their name as they do in Y!. I've been told this is wrong and they shouldn't be wasting time on the carpet so I tried getting them to write their name on a large white board. As they line up outside and come in together this made a real traffic jam. Just wondered how you make this work for you in your classrooms?

2. In the first term my children self-registered by putting their picture, then name, onto a chart. This term we have moved on to sitting on the carpet and answering to their name as they do in Y!. I've been told this is wrong and they shouldn't be wasting time on the carpet so I tried getting them to write their name on a large white board. As they line up outside and come in together this made a real traffic jam. Just wondered how you make this work for you in your classrooms?

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I've had a normal register (children sitting on the carpet and answering their names) since about October. It only takes 5 minutes. I don't really see the problem with it. Apart from anything else, it means that they are all settled on the carpet, ready for the input for our first teaching session.

4. I completely agree. It means that no-one getss missed and I can make sure I have said hello to them all. Also it builds their confidence to speak in class. However advisor says NO and head says I have to follow advice!

5. hurny

hurny New commenter

My class come in hang up their belongings, find their name, put it on the board and sit down for register time. I used to do the register saying "good morning" to each child, but now I put a box of books out for them to choose from and read together. I mark the register whilst they are looking at the books as I can see them (in their usual carpet spaces) so no one gets missed.
    Once I'm finshed, they put the books away, we work out how many children are present (boys, girls, altogether, using their names on the board), then we do the day of week, weather, sing a song about these, and then the visual timetable. Then the children are free to go to activities and do not stop until phonics just before lunch.
    I find this works well, the children enjoy the morning routine, they get to know what will happen during their day and do not get disturbed in their activities to come and sit on the carpet until the end of the morning.
    I know some advisors say not to sit them down for register first thing and I think the reasoning is so they can settle in to the class easier and get straight on with activities, therefore increasing their involvement/engagement.
    However, I have no problem with children settling in to the register time routine. Also, I don't see the benefit of children coming in, getting involved in an activity only to be interrupted for carpet time half an hour (or whatever) later. The 'no register/carpet time in the morning rule' would only be more beneficial for the children's involvement in activities if they came in, went straight to activities and were not stopped until lunch time. Not sure how many Reception classes do this.
    Anyway, that's just my thinking and my argument for advisors (when they come). My LA advisor said she always told teachers not to do register time first thing, but stopped this advice when she realised how important it was to her own daughter as a part of her daily routine.

6. Oh dearie me! You have just got to laugh! When on earth will children come first instead of adults' opinions, based on adults' theorising?
    Sorry. Daft question.

7. doctorinthetardis

doctorinthetardis New commenter

I have the kids come in the morning and settle straight into activities. After about 30 min, we tidy up and do our register routine and calendar before moving into maths activities.
    I simply typed out and printed a sheet for the register, laminated it and have one child helper a day take the register themselves. They read out the name and then tick if present and cross if absent. They love it when it's their turn and it really helped at the beginning of the year in recognising their peers names. I used to sit beside them so I could whisper the names if they couldn't quite read them but by now, they all know the names. They feel like the teacher and they love it! Just an idea. I find it much better, easier and more empowering for the children than me doing it every day. I

8. Hi - recently had ofsted and was told not to keep children on carpet too long they dont like it! However I stuck to my guns and did register on the carpet as usual but I use various ideas to answer eg favourite colours, what had for lunch, who they played with- I encourage the children to respond in a sentence - eg I played with joe. I love yellow etc. Ofsted was fine with that and I feel it encourages all to speak- lots of praise. Hope this helps.