1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self-marking resources for KS3 spag

Discussion in 'English' started by jenny_s_white, Jun 21, 2015.

1. jenny_s_white

jenny_s_white New commenter

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows of any self marking resources you can buy (for are free?!) for Spag at KS3? The Maths department have got a computer programme called 'my maths'. Does anything like this exist for English? Thanks

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I looked into this a while ago but never did find anything digital. There are books available with answer keys at the back and some Skillswise stuff but not a comprehensive program that tracks or gamifies the process.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I suspect the dearth of such resources is because most acknowledge true mastery of such skills can only come in context, but all the same, it would be good to be able to point students toward resources when they need them.

As an alternative, I tried to build up a bank of resources (print and non-print) they could refer to when needed. It's a mammoth task because there need to be different types of task for each SPAG point for revision, review, in case they don't get it from this explanation etc.

3. jenny_s_white

jenny_s_white New commenter

Thanks for the reply. I have found a website called education quizzes which provides free spag style quizzes for a range of subjects. www.educationquizzes.com/ks3

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

We're in the process of purchasing Dynamic Learning from Hodder Education for exactly this type of self-marking resources, ready to have a go with it from September.

5. roamingteacher

Would love to hear how it goes.

Thanks for the link jenny.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Just a quick first impression of the information in the quizzes above. I'd be put off by what I saw as information about adjectives. (If my students were doing the quiz on adjectives I'd tell them that the Qs and As were fine but ignore the poor explanation at the top.)

It says that adjectives are describing words. (Bad.)

It says that adjectives describe nouns. (Even worse.)

It's "cod" grammar for me. (I am a pedant, though.)

7. markuss

And it says:

"Places, people and things are all nouns". No comment!

And:

'Careless' is an example of an abstract noun that is an attitude.

8. roamingteacher

Oh dear. Perhaps best avoided then.

9. markuss

Well, I wouldn't use it - unless to show children how some people pass on the wrong ideas about language.

Would you say that "Phil Peterson" is an alliterative name? I wouldn't.

The quiz people say, "Alliteration is when two or more words start with the same letter or sound."

10. roamingteacher