1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self initiated writing year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by youngg, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Here are a few things I use in my class: make sure that your free writing area is well organised and has good quality paper and writing materials; display suggestions for settings, characters and plots around your writing table (some nice posters are available from www.**********.co.uk); provide pictures for the pupils to write about or storyboards with blank speech bubbles; take time to read some of the free writing stories to the class; have a folder with polypockets in your library corner for where the pupils can publish their work; encourage pupils to illustrate their stories as this will be their favourite part. I hope some of these suggestions will be of help.

2. If a one-off big write type of activity, objects are always great. I have a fantastic little treasure chest which I bought in Cornwall years ago, which produced some great writing. And it wasn't all stories- children had free reign over what to do, Some did stories, others poems, letters etc. They could choose their writing material and their paper.

3. msworld

msworld New commenter

Digital photo frame with interesting photos...

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

Our teachers once brought in a whole lot of rubbish and plonked it in the middle of the area (open plan school. We had to look at it and be inspired to wrie something. I wrote a poem. I'm not sure it was a very good one but it was an interesting idea. We really had to think hard because the rubbish wasn't really all that inspiring!

5. Wow, sorry - didn't know this. After checking this info out I definately will not be using ********** again - I can't believe the site is still running!