1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self-identification

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Buy a mirror?;)

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I am quite comfortable with people self-identifying their race.

After all it is a social construct.

Dyathinkhesaurus and nomad like this.
  4. monicabilongame

What about colour?

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am a white female.
    Get over it.
    Tomorrow I may choose to identify as a non-binary teapot.

Pomza, curlcurlcurl and nomad like this.
  7. monicabilongame

A chocolate one?

CraigCarterSmith and kibosh like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just melanin.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Rachel Dolzeal is a hero.

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I think it's often quite difficult to accurately assess someone's race fully so to an extent everyone gets to self-identify. For example, I would not have known my friend's sister-in-law had a mother of Japanese heritage and a father of Jamaican. I presumed she was of solely black heritage but she considered herself to be as Asian as she is black. My nephew is mixed british and Jamaican heritages but you would probably not guess the Jamaican part unless you knew his dad. My cousins are of mixed British and Mauritian heritage, and one looks much more like their British dad, and one more like their Mauritian mum. To the extent you probably wouldn't think they were siblings at first glance. The more Mauritian looking one married a Russian lady and their kids have inherited her blue eyes and porcelain skin.

I know there was a lot of controversy over the Dolezal case, but from my understanding it was more to do with the fact that when it comes to self-identifying, those with lighter skin have a much easier time of it than those with dark skin, who, like the girl in the first video are never going to be seen by the ordinary onlooker as white, no matter how much they self-identify. For example, you can self-identify white as much as you like but youre going to be just as likely to experience racism as someone who identifies as black if other people perceive you as black. The same is probably not true the other way round and in that sense, I can understand why some felt that dolezal was an example of how lighter skinned people have a freedom to self-identify in a way that darker skinned people do not.

I guess it's also like Barrack Obama being called black when he's actually mixed heritage. No one would ever call him white, but strictly speaking he's as white as he is black. That's where it kind of moves away from self-identification and begins to address the question of how much people cannot always separate their own identify from how other people naturally identify them.

I imagine as mixed marriages become more and more common, the whole issue of what race someone both self identifies as belonging to, and is perceived by the average onlooker as belonging to, will become more of a moot point. Which is probably not a bad thing to be honest.

kibosh, vannie and Moony like this.
  11. O_live

O_live New commenter

If it’s not a medical questionnaire where this kind of information is needed for health reasons, then yes, people can choose what they feel like. Makes it way easier for those from mixed marriages or foreign adoption.

dunnocks likes this.
  12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What about age? I'm only ten and should only be charged half fare.

lrw22, Pomza, grumpydogwoman and 8 others like this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Brilliant.
    You are full of it today.;):)

nomad likes this.
  14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We are a product of our parentage, their parentage and so on.
    I am an Englishman and proud to be so.
    Why would anyone not want to be who they really are?

15. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Society is full of people who don’t necessarily fit in to tick boxes.

A child with blond hair and blue eyes may have one parent who is of Indian heritage and has dark hair and eyes. ( As is the case with one of our doctors)

One family may have a child with dark skin and a sibling with pale skin.

A person assigned male at birth might not feel like a typical “ Englishman” ( Thank bloody god) and may want to express a combination of masculinity and femininity or neither without being hounded or bullied as often happens if you happen to be different from the norm.

So jolly good if you can congratulate yourself on being so normal that you fall in to a typical tick box.

One other thing, the O’Neil bloke in the Spiked link also is anti gay marriage - what a nice guy.

And I don’t see why self identification for trans people is linked to self identification for race/ colour - totally different things completely.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It's seen as the thin end of the wedge. If trans people demand to be legally accepted as a particular sex/gender on their word alone, then why not for any other characteristic?

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

How so?

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Identification is needed for many reasons, travel, work, voting, citizenship, banking, borrowing etc. If you want chaos then let people change their identity as and when the mood or circumstance dictates.

FormosaRed likes this.
  19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not a question of normality is it? It is common sense to be identified within a workable framework.
    Men as women, women as men, colour definitions are all superfluous to what is needed to make things work.

FormosaRed likes this.
  20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

This is the kind of attitude that is so counterproductive during debates about trans rights.
    People cannot change their gender on a whim when the 'mood or circumstance dictates'. Nobody is advocating for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.