1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self gratification, self gratification, self gratification

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

As pointed out above, teachers' salaries were not mentioned in this piece which really only scratched the surface of the extent of fraud going on in academies. The "what does a good teacher make?" advertising campaign falsely claimed that pay scales are considerably higher than they are. Many academies are notorious for wringing out trainees, failing them and offering either another year as a trainee or a lower grade post.
    The Anti Academies Alliance has amassed evidence for years, but to date, the Government's response to any approach about pay has been "schools are free to manage their own budgets".
    The documentary would have had even greater impact if the price of one phony consultant had been shown to be worth three teachers or five trained classroom assistants thereby making it unnecessary to exclude SEN students to massage the results.

2. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Exactly. Spot on. We are living in an insane world. Schools have been disembowelled, great teachers kicked out to ensure inept goons in suits trash our schools, our political parties are in disarray. Things are getting very bad now. Planet oxymoron! I am a living antique: an older 'proper teacher' but I cannot teach. And the contradiction of useless 'academies of excellence.' This lot are debasing language itself, unhinging how we label reality.. for cash.

3. Mrsmumbles

Move over will you, Comrade, your hoof is too close to my bleeding paw, Excuse me...got to whine a bit more on my own as I munch my measly Gove Education Farm rations in my 20 minute manger break...

4. Mrsmumbles

Indeed. I'd have volunteered! They could have filmed me in blackout, as if I was Banksy or someone...

5. Mrsmumbles

We are the Baldricks of British 'education', repeatedly head-slapped by Edmund Blackadder, NCTL, Executive Head of Pompoushire.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

but can you disagree that that is exactly what teachers do?

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

OMG jolly roger's Berty has a brother who wrought havoc on my academy. He was C of G and then wangled himself a well paid time job, claimed overtime as well and.... created a massive budget deficit by building a white elephant.... cue job losses, options vanishing, teachers teaching several subjects, higher contact hours, bigger classes and more stress. He has of course vanished into the ether. Hope you don't get him or any of his brethren. He was also the rudest person!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@emerald52: We had a 'Berty' rather like yours, who was out of the same mould as Poulson, Cunningham and T. Dan Smith. While he was there, the school built a new canteen that was a 'masterpiece' of modern design with lots of room vertically but not enough horizontally, so it was far too small. This made getting all the students through it in the ever diminishing lunch break very difficult. Ditto the 'Community Theatre', which had a central stage surrounded on all four sides by raked tiers of cinema-style seats, but insufficient of these to accommodate a whole year group. Again, the building was airily tall but covered too small an area.

The upgrade for the school's mainframe computer and peripherals was awarded to a company in which somebody's son-in-law had an interest. After months of misery while these people made a pig's ear of it, another company had to be brought in to sort out the mess created by the first, and then do the upgrade properly but not adequately as, of course, funds were now limited..

The contract for school meals was given to somebody's relative, under whose direction the catering failed inspections for nutritional content and hygiene.

Overall, you get the impression that these carpetbaggers are out to milk the system for as much as they can, as soon as they can, knowing that this bonanza cannot last.

Mrsmumbles, emerald52 and delnon like this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The new canteen at a school I worked at recently looked great..

But all the food was placed about 18 inches below light things that were actually heaters to keep the food warm. They generated about as much heat as the Sun and after about 10 minutes it was so hot it was unbearab;e to be anywhere in the area.

..and the seats were too small and swivelled....the kids kept falling off them.

emerald52 likes this.
  10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The phrase 'you couldn't make it up' springs to mind. Sadly the losers are pupils and dedicated staff who try their best and then decide they will chuck it in.

delnon likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The same school BTW has a car park that is riddled with deep potholes and floods in bad weather

emerald52 likes this.
  12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That is not a problem? Management will each have a 4x4 to cope with that.

13. Mrsmumbles

Er..no, I can't. We teachers are, in the main, a bunch of herd mentality bovines managed by capitalist pigs. I would argue that a lot of us are good people who naively thought the best of people and stupidly assumed that all this accelerated overwork and exploitation we've had for the last five years or so had a shiny and noble moral purpose. It doesn't. I'm fed up of being lectured on how to teach by trouser suited squealers, culled like Boxer, and pontificated to by little Napoleons. But we are voiceless and powerless. All we can do is either try to join the 'Haves' by retraining, or really kick asss by staging a series of all out strikes. One example of how powerless and scrutinised we are now stands out. Have you seen the name and shame rubbish on the DFE website? Some staff are being struck off for GOOD for fiddling a reference because if they didn't, they wouldn't be able to secure another post. Reading between the lines, this teacher was good, ran up against the bullies, they went after them and refused to give a reference...well I've been there. You end up hating yourself, doing out of character things, because the school has utterly failed to support you and you're desperate. I accept that there may be more to these disciplinary cases, but they remind me of the show trials in Animal Farm. It's insane. Good teachers are kicking back and acting out of character, having their careers wrecked...and the DFE publish it online. How on earth they think this is justifiable is beyond me.

delnon and emerald52 like this.
  14. Mrsmumbles

So exactly and precisely right. Do you think the T.erribly W.onderful A.academy T.opbrass S build those cliched structures because they are mostly midget sized little carpetbaggers suffering from short man syndrome? Just a thought...

emerald52 likes this.
  15. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Nooooo! Our Berty definitely suffered from short man syndrome!! I am delighted to say that he no longer darkens anyones door......

16. Mrsmumbles

Someone stamped on him, maybe? Or put him on a formal capability and then posted it online on the DFE website?!

17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Berty short manswas never a teacher but a failed businessman who wangle himself a post supposedly bringing bucketloads of cash to our coffers. You can fill in the result .....

delnon likes this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Yes...I've recently escaped from a place with a Berty Boom voice Tall Man. Gets all the head of subject and young business enterprise posts because he wears a nice suit. Then he popped up on LinkedIn. Was made redundant five years ago. How this lit get away with it and we can't is beyond me.

emerald52 likes this.