1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self gratification, self gratification, self gratification

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A school near us has essentially that

An SMT to manage the teaching side and another to manage the "executive" side

You DON'T need this in schools - they are NOT corporations

We have a HR manager at our place - I've NEVER understood why.

drek, peggylu and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Just before I left my old school acquired a "bursar". The job of this bursar had previously been done perfectly adequately by a lovely lady for many years at about half the price with a much less impressive title and she was retiring.

So the school decided it needed a bursar. The person who got the job was the husband of a member of SMT who had oddly left his previous job at another school in the county without telling anyone he worked with in advance, it was one of those throw away comments at the end of briefing but didn't appear on the briefing notes, "Mr. X. has left."

Then a month after leaving with no job to go to, there he is at our place with a place on SMT to boot! Someone who has never taught.

drek, delnon and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

I wouldn't want a qualified teacher as our bursar. A qualified accountant would be a lot more useful. Bursars run all the non-teaching and learning side so can't see that being a teacher matters. Bursar is usually on SMT in secondaries. SMT have to run the finance and premises as well as the teaching.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@Mangleworzle: It was the same in spades, at my last school. The introduction of a new member of non-teaching staff at the morning shout became a weekly event, which hardly attracted attention.

Head: "I would like to introduce Miss X, the latest member of our 'family' (Yuk!), who is our new (insert incomprehensible and meaningless job title)."
    Miss X: "Thanks, Dad. Oops! Do you think anyone heard that?"

Insidiously, new faces would be parachuted into very senior, newly-created management positions, the job titles and functions of which were opaque, at best.

Head: "I would like to introduce Mr Backstory Berty, whose hand will be on the tiller of the ship of constant improvement that is our school, sailing it into the headwaters of excellence." (Or some such BS).

Berty then settles himself in his well-appointed office with several assistants dancing attendance on him. He is seldom seen in school as he is continually out and about, tirelessly searching for exemplars of 'best practice'. Since education always has been a somewhat incestuous world (in the metaphorical sense, as opposed to the literal one of academy staffing practice) Berty's backstory gradually comes to light, such as how he did a 'moonlight flit' from his previous job before disciplinary proceedings and/or the auditors caught up with him, or how he had brought about sweeping reorganisation in his previous school that had caused chaos, which he adroitly left to others to clear up. Suddenly, Berty is gone, so quietly it is weeks before his absence is noticed by anyone not 'in the know'.

I suppose nepotism saves space in the car park, as so many non-teaching staff go home in the same car. Thirty-odd years ago, the only Volvo belonged to the Head. Nowadays, the staff car park looks like a showroom for high end, Audis and BMWs!

rachelpaula008, drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've NEVER taught in or been associated with anything like this situation.

Been very lucky obviously.

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Fair enough re. being an accountant.

This school was not increasing in size, funding was being cut in real terms, there were not any problems regarding the job the new bursar took on, but the created position was MUCH better paid. I hear that he quite likes sticking his oar in and getting involved in discussions about teaching, a non-teacher with a finance job who just happens to work in a school.

Many of these stories bring to mind a coup in a banana republic "Right we're in charge now, who fancies the jobs that are going?". If LA's are no longer in charge, then management structures need to change, the lack of oversight means that many schools are being run more and more for the benefit of the people in charge.

drek and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do have one example of the "new" style of management.

I seem to remember a staff meeting once when the head made an announcement that caused a bit of a sharp intake of breath from the assembled.

In plain English it was basically - I have just made my mate xxxxxxxx head of the faculty of xxxxxxxx despite the fact that he teaches in a completly different department, has no management experience and has the personality of an amoeba.

rachelpaula008 and drek like this.
  8. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

drek, Mrsmumbles and Mangleworzle like this.
  9. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Brilliantly honest post that is simultaneously hilarious and tragic. I witnessed this scene almost verbatim last month. When the HR babes arrive, the teachers leave.

drek likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Bertie is a prime example of a Gover. And a bell.

drek likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Yup, that would be it. Told ya!

drek likes this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

They are indeed banana-scoffing gorillas who pay their scrawny teacher monkeys mere peanuts. And get rubbish results and a failing school.

drek likes this.
  13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

I've just remembered one of the things which happened when a school where I taught became a Grant-Maintained School (prototype academy; the Tories' previous attempt at privatisation)

One of the smaller classrooms in the main building (brick-built, decent room, good for the 6th form) disappeared into the revamped and extended office suite.
    The new 6th-form block was a set of four rooms constructed of pressed cardboard, tinfoil and perspex (all right, I exaggerate, but not much - the windows were falling out almost before the paint was dry).which were too hot in summer, too cold in winter.
    For some mysterious reason, 6th-form expansion was not as great as had been hoped.

Mrsmumbles, Mangleworzle and drek like this.
  14. drek

drek Star commenter

The first rule of management in accounting manuals state Directors can awsrd themselves any amount of pay and bonuses and take any action against employees which they and their lawyers can claim are for 'services rendered' and no one can question them.

Any wonder we have director titles replacing head of department.

In the news today once again goldman sachs are behind the boards of companies such as that of BHS running pension scams on the sweat and blood of their employees.

Their 'CEO's' award themselves bonuses of 10 million and upwards despite claiming they need to shed lower paid staff to 'save' their companies.

Lots of 'failing' academies will follow suit no doubt.

15. drek

drek Star commenter

Some kind poster mentioned that schools may be trying to scam teachers out of years of pension payments.

TPS is now run by another company.

Please check your years of pensionable service. Its all online now.

Between the new company and the last school my pensionable years have been reduced. I am having to sort it out with the school and LEA myself.

But no doubt they will pay themselves handsomely for my hours of work over their administrative 'error!'

Mrsmumbles, chelsea2 and peggylu like this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There have been consultants telling teachers how to do their jobs for years. But I'm sure it's not been long since we allowed barely qualified people with only a few years of teaching experience (or none!) to run a school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but indys always had some sort of bursar/HR-but they stuck to their jobs and didn't interfere with teaching-and the head was an experienced teacher!

Mrsmumbles and peggylu like this.
  17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Haven't seen the Dispatches programme yet (been away on hols), but I am just so pleased that at last academies are being subjected to investigation by such a programme. May it be the first of many.

les25paul, peggylu and Mrsmumbles like this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

Indeed. Have they renamed it and given it a stupid Newspeakesque title like 'Smallville's high aspirations academy' or 'Colgate College'?

peggylu likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

I saw it last night. Irritating. The journalism was good, but some idiot at Blakeway Productions thought it the height of irony to have this naff Grange Hill theme going through. They did reveal a lot of the corruption, but it wa sonny half an hour and it had one glaring omission: at no point did the programme makers clearly juxtapose the salaries and increasingly dire working conditions of classroom teachers with those of the increasing high salaries and low stress conditions of these Not So Super Heads. This was utterly understated. No teachers were interviewed. Could do better, Channel 4!

peggylu likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Yes, I am on first name terms with the good people at TPS. Call them bang on 9 am. Then you get through. They are useless...took five years of me which I only got back recently. We have to all be vigilant and keep an eye on our own pension. And if you are under fifty but worried about the future of your career, slap as much cash as you can into a pension overpayment. It's on the right hand section of My Pension Online, under 'enhancements'. Career avergage is so much worse than final salary that if you are a transitional member, topping up CA while the overpayment costs are a bit lower could make a huge difference when you reach 67. And if over 55, probably still worth doing it. But the TPS don't advertise this much...sneaky of them really.