1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self gratification, self gratification, self gratification

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

2. Mrsmumbles

3. Mrsmumbles

4. Mrsmumbles

5. Mrsmumbles

Right, I've calmed down a bit now....FAT CAPITALIST PIIIIIIGS!

Ahem.

Ok, much better now.....

6. Mrsmumbles

SNARL....TWITCH....GROWL....
    Freeloading incompetent selfish capitalist pig-men swine!

7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Watched channel 4 Dispatches on academies just now. I can't say I was surprised by highly questionable uses of tax payers money. I find it hard to believe that anyone at the DFE will do anything. Shame on you.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Of course they will.

They'll set up a consultancy/education charity based on their close links and experience at the DfE and promoted via their Twitter profile. KerCHING..

Mrsmumbles, peggylu and delnon like this.
  9. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and as a profession we will all roll over accept the changes and just carry on whinging on here while blaming "the unions"

peggylu, Mrsmumbles and redlamp2 like this.
  10. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Maybe the CEO's of MAT's could hire "Sir" Philip Green to show them how to systematically drain resources from schools and waste money in an almost criminal manner!

I'm not surprised, just hope parents rise up against this shocking damage to their children's education.

It makes me so angry and upset as I know come results day that if exam targets are down it won't be the ivory towered Academy Chiefs or Executive Principals losing their jobs, but it will be hard working committed teachers who don't seek rewards in money but work to educate the next generation and make the world a better place who will suffer.

Will the Government address these issues? I really am disgusted with the people making a profit out of taxpayers money and ultimately our children's education.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

PFI anybody? another great way of making your mates rich

12. Mrsmumbles

Would that be the retirement funded by teacher and taxpayer contributions?!

13. Mrsmumbles

Agree entirely. It's outrageous they get away with it. As if we need a new verb, 'to gove it up.' Goving is when a person with a bit of power and no common sense, integrity or altruism interfered, meddles, bullies and blusters a school and its staff into failure. They force people to do things they would normally not, which results in failure. Whereas the teachers are fired for their 'error', the Gover gets a promotion and another new area to screw up.

14. Mrsmumbles

M.A.T my rump. They should rename them:

Terribly
    Widespread
    Abysmally 'run'
    Trusts

redlamp2 likes this.
  15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, focussing on trustees is a red herring.

You only have to look at cases of documented fraud in academies vs LA schools. The evidence there is clear. Considered alongside the (further) recent evidence that academies have no significant effect on standards and perform worse for the lowest ability pupils, then that is all the evidence you need. Makes you wonder why the regional schools commissioners are blind to it all. An evidence-based approach to education only suit at times it seems.

And then there's the land that is being given away wholesale. OUR land.

16. Mrsmumbles

Agreed: I had to pause the show, I was so upset. Schools are all about the window dressing, the branded doormats, the swanky websites - none of this actually matters at all, apart from justifies another minion's job that is created at the expense of a teacher's pay rise/job.
    I'm shocked at how the 'boys in the government departments' with cushy jobs for life and fat pension plans have also secured lucrative contracts on the side, know blugger all about education in the main, and trashed our former state school funding and management structures so quickly and so blamelessly. They are like bloodsucking leeches, sucking their schools dry, filling their own bellies to bursting point, killing their host, then, just before their host topples to death, the locusts flit on to their next pointless promotion. Why is there no regulating body with real power monitoring this lot and reporting malpractice? Even more galling is when the really inept ones retrain as Maths and Science teachers, start working in schools on cushy pay spines and with a tonne of pay spine points, and start telling the rest of us who have been in the job decades how to do it. Grr! When will the public realise that neither our schools not our hospitals should be run like traditional businesses? I really despise these people, paid for by our tax and wrecking this country's health and education by the second. Swat them.

17. Mrsmumbles

The little piggie second in from the left is worried because Cameron gave him a funny look earlier in the evening.....

18. Mrsmumbles

Put it on the wrong thread, doh! Promise I won't write any more....

A trite poetic guide for those mad enough to be looking for a job in a UK school this year:

Is your chosen school's website all shiny and bright?
    Well that normally means that the management's schlite...

Are there lots of departments sporting young staff mug shots?
    Be sure that the HR team do capability cons - lots!

Are there clickable pics of attractive staff?
    I'm afraid the reality's far far less naff (and depressing)

See this boy and his teacher on the main website leader?
    They're currently both locked in a complaints procedure

But as long as the website spouts colourful lies
    It matters not that the NQT cries
    That the management lies
    And overworked, underpaid staff nearly die (or do, usually whilst on WRS leave)

Now..check! Can you see lots of branded signing?
    That means the Head squashes all union 'whining'
    To pay for his pencils, bags booklets and badges a-shining

Are kids being used more and more as helpers and guides?
    'Tis where schooling and Teachfirsting darkly collides

It'll start with one being made top student 'voice'
    And end in his school-based traineeship of choice
    And that old teacher they fired first? Well he's got no voice!)

And that school-crested doormat which cost them so much?
    Careful! Means 'Excechead' and workforce are way out of touch

Has the school got itself a new slick Twitter feed?
    Stating obvious bilge like the time you all feed?
    Well be sure - there's an Fat Cat there, stuffed full of greed (scoffing his milk and apples, nom..nom..nom)

For his own quite considerable fat wad of pay
    Your Executive Head - who seems nice and.... ok (in his online videoed message)
    Will bluster and connive, showing good staff the way
    OUT.

Which is the door you should be using before considering starting a career in schools now!

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  19. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

"Obscene salaries" when promoting favoured "obliging" PAs too!

20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I watched the C4 'Dispatches' programme and what I saw was all too familiar. Within two years of becoming an academy, the numbers of our SMT had more than doubled, dividing itself into 'academic' and 'executive' branches, the real power quite obviously resting with the latter. An ever-swelling non-teaching 'managerial tier' appeared, supposedly to 'work alongside' teachers but, in reality, to supervise them. It goes without saying that a vigorous policy of replacing expensive, experienced staff with cheap, unqualified replacements was pursued, by hook or by crook.

Nepotism on a scale that would have made the Borgia Vatican blush was the order of the day. We used to joke that if the school burned to the ground, DNA would be no use in identifying the bodies, as most of them were to closely related to each other.

Management 'jollies' abounded. A particular one that comes to mind was a sporting event, in Spain, to which about thirty students went accompanied by over half as many staff. Needless to say, SMT had been on several 'preliminary' trips beforehand.

Appearance was everything! Every wall was daubed with mottoes, slogans, 'inspirational' aphorisms, self-congratulatory puffs and advertising. The whole school was given a make-over, with consultants brought in to advise on the new décor. Strangely enough, the colour scheme and carpets were almost indistinguishable form those to be seen in a Metropolitan Line railway carriage. New buildings were put up, mostly to accommodate the inflated management. Those intended for education were ill-suited to their purpose and shoddily finished.

The school finances went through rapid cycles of 'feast and famine'. At the beginning of a school year, the SMT would trumpet the 'new tranches' of money at their disposal while, by the beginning of the Easter term, photocopiers were removed and staff were regularly given homilies on the need to save resources. Essentials such as books and paper disappeared, while things like ICT maintenance were 'out-sourced' and skimped.

On a personal note, as a supply teacher I have had the experience of being told by an AHT, wearing a suite that probably cost more than I have spent on clothes in the last decade, that he has not got the money to pay for my services.