1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self gratification, self gratification, self gratification

Discussion in 'Education news' started by blazer, Jul 24, 2016.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

chelsea2 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

10604_medium-retina.jpg

I notice the photographs of the recipients in the article are all smiling.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

He'll be back demanding more firm evidence ...

Mrsmumbles and delnon like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Goodness me retirement seems to have wreaked havoc with your short-term memory. I'll settle for any evidence at all @harsh-but-fair, none has been given so far for the claim you and @blazer made. You seem to have forgotten what it was. You claimed that the Trustees of Academy Trusts were making personal gain from their interests in companies supplying academies with goods and services. Nothing whatsoever to do with the outrageous travel expenses of some academy CEOs.

Here, in case you can't remember what you said.

Any chance of any evidence to support your claim?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

For those with strong stomachs, the Dispatches programme on How School Bosses Spend Your Millions, is on Channel 4 tomorrow, Mon 25 Jul, at 8pm.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Perhaps old age is affecting you, Mr. Weiler. I never made any such claim, but I did offer some evidence to support the claim, which you never addressed.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely these 'saintly' trustees who are running these schools for the benefit of the children at no personal gain to themselves are allowing these obscene salaries and expenses?

8. Rott Weiler

You supported blazer's claims. I replied to your so-called 'evidence', which was nothing of the sort and had nothing to do with the claim repeatedly made, that the Trustees of Academy Trusts were making personal gain from their interests in companies supplying academies with goods and services.

No-one is supporting CEO's excessive expenses claims, but that's got nothing to do with your allegations. I'm just asking you blazer when you are going to post evidence of your claim that the Trustees of Academy Trusts were making a personal profit from their interests in companies supplying academies with goods and services? A simple request that you seem keen to duck. Don't make allegations against people if you can't stand them up. Simples.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Simples! Loser!

10. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

Throw in a few consultant fees into that mix too.

They can all attend the Fat Cat Luncheon along with the former colleagues of Mr Gove now operating various "charitable" educational services etc.

Yum, yum, yum.

emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  11. Rott Weiler

Abuse the poster if you can't win the argument. Tried and tested eh?

I'll take that as a 'no'; then, you have no evidence for your claims.

Enjoy your retirement.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Seems like I'm in a battle of wits with an unarmed man!

Laphroig and peggylu like this.
  13. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

emerald52 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Well fancy that, I never knew it was batle of wits. There's me thinking we were discussing conflcit of interests in academy trusts.

Is it really too hard for you to admit the obvious blazer? That you cannot support your claims.

15. Rott Weiler

That's been linked several times already. It's not about academies in general. I've asked blazer multiple times for evidence this is widespread but no answer is forthcoming from him.

16. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Does it have to be widespread to be indefensible? At what point does it move from 'once in a while' to 'unacceptably often'? I would argue that the lack of financial oversight of academies makes this sort of situation far more likely than in LA schools and that one trust abusing their freedoms to enrich their trustees is one school too many.

17. Rott Weiler

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Meanwhile, as former education secretary Michael Gove’s vision of a more market-led school system has materialised, in which multi-academy trusts have taken the place of local authorities, salary levels have soared within the management tier,

It seems to be working as intended, isn't that the way things work in "market led" systems? You get away with what you can and there's no day-to-day scrutiny or accountability for those at the top, just the lower tiers. The world in general seems to be more and more focussed on top management who are happy to take the rewards of success for themselves while using the jobs of others as a risk buffer. Toryism working like it says on the tin.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Local school - went into special measures (or whatever you call it these days). Were immediately swallowed up by a MAT. The size of the management team doubled overnight (there are something like 14 members of SMT - to put that into prospective, we are a school of similar size and have 4 on our SMT).

That was a year ago - the school has actually got worse since then.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It's blooming disgraceful. All those careers, meagre and hard-earned Salaries, of good, decent teachers, reallocated to Mr TwaettyBullocks' swanky new Jag and getting the missus a plum job, no pun intended. VERY cross!
    "Only the pigs were allowed milk and apples." ORWELL.