1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self finance a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by choclover, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Do you think it's possible to do this? I won't get funding as I have already received it when I completed my PCET PGCE but if I don't get on the GTP this year, I need to maximise my chances of re-training to get QTS.
    So, if I applied for yet more money from the student loan company to cover the £3k tuition fees, do you think it's possible to get a bank loan to cover my living costs for the year? I don't have many outgoings as I am single and have no children or animals!
    Ta

2. Do you think it's possible to do this? I won't get funding as I have already received it when I completed my PCET PGCE but if I don't get on the GTP this year, I need to maximise my chances of re-training to get QTS.
    So, if I applied for yet more money from the student loan company to cover the £3k tuition fees, do you think it's possible to get a bank loan to cover my living costs for the year? I don't have many outgoings as I am single and have no children or animals!
    Ta

3. Really? I think you do, as you don't yet have QTS. You can have any amount of funding for other courses, including post-compulsory, but provided you don't yet have QTS, you are eligible for bursary, plus grant and loans from Student Finance England for a graduate initial teacher training course like PGCE Primary/Secondary.
    The only people who get nothing at all are those who already have QTS (then why do PGCE?) and those from outside EU/EEA.
    So together with a bursary of £4k to £9k, you should get up to £2906 in maintenance grant, up to £4397 in maintenance loan (plus around £500 in long courses loan), minimum £319 uni bursary plus up to £3225 in tuition fee loan.
    You can usually get interest and fee-free overdraft from a bank as a student, usually up to around £2000.

4. Alec - I'm sending you a cyber kiss! I will definitely ring the SLC and see what I'm entitled to. That's such good news for once!
    [​IMG]

5. Hi,
    Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any financial help while doing a PGCE in primary I have previously done a PGCE in PCET which is not QTS. and I am not QTS. I would greatly appreciate an informed reply.

6. The answer I gave two-and-a-half years ago still stands. You should be able to get funding, but there is no longer bursary for 2011/12 (there will be for 2012/13 when £6000 to £9000 fees are introduced; for primary it's proposed you get £9k if you have a first, £5k with 2:1 and £4k with 2:2) and you should still get grant and loans, if you are financially eligible.