1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

self esteem/motivation programme - help needed please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Dec 7, 2011.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I have just started work with some Y6s who are having difficulties in school. A lot of their problems stem from low self esteem and thus a lack of motivation.
    Does anyone know of a good self esteem programme, other than SEAL?
    Thanks

2. takethatno1fan

I have just started work with some Y6s who are having difficulties in school. A lot of their problems stem from low self esteem and thus a lack of motivation.
    Does anyone know of a good self esteem programme, other than SEAL?
    Thanks

3. Carol Dweck's book, Mindsets is fantastic for this sort of thing. Shirley Clarke quotes her all the time in her books

4. takethatno1fan

thanks so much, I'm off to have a look!

5. This sounds exactly like a problem I've got with my Year 6s! I've tried to display/discuss a variety of famous aspirational statements in the hope of raising motivation. I've also increased the amount of circle time etc but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. So.... I was just wondering how you've got on or if you've got anymore ideas?!?! Thanks

6. I make it clear that learning is a partnership. I will plan lessons that I hope are exciting and challenging, but they must play their part too. If they want to learn, they are welcome in my classroom. If they don't want to learn, I will ring their parents up and ask if they can go home, as they are wasting my time and the tax payers' money. However, I haven't had to carry out my threat yet! We spent a lot of time looking at and discussing Mindsets, not only during PSHE, but in all other lessons too. If they have a closed mindset, they will not improve their own learning, if they have a Growth Mindset, they can improve. I am also open with where they are with NC levels, and how they can reach the next level, this is equated to a computer game. Gaining the next level is not the be all and end all in my classroom, but I have found that it motivates and focuses them in all lessons, not just in the core subjects. I highly recommend the Carol Dweck book as a starting point.