1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self employment as instrument tutor etc

Discussion in 'Music' started by mumbles81, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Hi,

I would like to take a step into being my own boss having been a music teacher and HoD for 6 years, and was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice to offer on the following:

How would I market myself to schools (probably mainly primaries) as a freelance peri/extracurricular group provider/consultant for music lessons?

I have a business idea but would welcome thoughts and advice on the above from those in my field!

Thank you!

2. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Hi
    I taught piano privately for 5 years and did some peri work for approx 1 year before training to do my PGCE. For peri work, I basically contacted the local music services by writing a letter and sending in my CV. I did find that peri work was quite slow to trickle in but it certainly helped having my DipABRSM.
    You could also contact the primaries directly, either by letter/CV, and/or perhaps arrange a meeting with them to pitch your idea?
    Good luck!
    Firebird [​IMG]

3. Thanks!
    Any tips for accounts/taxes etc?

4. Yes, unfortunately this is the case. I earnt my living, before I went into the classroom, as a freelance musician and teacher. I was lucky that I was getting a fair few quid in from the concerts/gigs and I had about 40-45 students at the peak of my instrumental teaching stint. I did pick up some extra money by teaching on the Award schemes (G & T) that our local music service ran (I did Composition and Instrumental tuition).
    Another thing's just sprung to mind... a group of musician friends and I used to go around Primary and Secondary schools and do workshops that tied in with their KS levels; the sessions were planned with the teachers. That was quite a nice little source of income too.
    Teaching ABRSM Theory can be another source. I used to do a Saturday Grade 5 Thoery club and it was lovely to teach.
    I'm sure I did other things too but I've gone blank for now - if I remember I'll pop back and add to the list.