1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Self-Employed Work and Pay

Discussion in 'Independent' started by EurekaYT, May 11, 2020.

  1. EurekaYT

    EurekaYT New commenter

    Hello all,

    I am a qualified teacher, currently self-employed and running a Youth Theatre company. I have been contacted by a school and asked if I would consider teaching all of their Drama one day per week.

    I would not be on their payroll, but would invoice them for my services. I have never done this before, and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how I should charge - I don't want to charge too much, obviously, but I also don't want to sell myself short. Should I go on basic teaching wage and break it down? I am a bit stumped.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
  2. CabbageWhite20

    CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

    Honestly, I think you should charge more than minimum. If you’re a one man band you’d be de facto HoD. Would they expect you to organise and oversee productions?

    It sounds like a great opportunity but probably also a lot of work, and with planning etc. you’re bound to work outside the day. You’d also want to find out about and factor in attending staff meetings and compulsory training, reports, parent evenings etc.
  3. Rott Weiler

    Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

    You might want to ask on the Headteacher's forum what they would expect to pay for this - confirm whether this is primary or secondary.

    Basic employed teacher salary is not very relevant to what a self employed person should charge. An employee, in addition to their salary, gets paid holidays, sick pay, job security, employers NI paid, employees contribution to TPS (that's 24% extra salary on its own!). A self employed person has to pay for all this themself.

    A more useful comparison would be what a school pays for a supply teacher for the day - I mean what the school pays the agency, not what the agency pays the supply teacher after taking their cut. You could ask that on the Headteacher's forum too.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

    caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

    I'd ask if they could put you on their payroll as a part time teacher. Then you'd get all the employee benefits and some job security.

    If you are teaching ALL the drama in one day a week, I'm assuming it's a very small school and you'd be teaching everyone from nursery or reception to year 6 or 8. This means they might well ask you to sort productions and the like, which would probably be performed on days you don't work for them. Are they expecting that you'll bring in costumes and props from your company to use? What happens if they are damaged on school property?

    A theatre company coming in to do workshops all day, tend to charge around £300 a day in the area I work and we pay supply agencies around £250 a day for a teacher. So that might be a rough idea for a starting point.

Share This Page