1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

self employed supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by krnlewis1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. krnlewis1

krnlewis1 New commenter

Hi.
    I would be grateful for any advice on starting out as self employment as supply. Rates of pay in London (I want to be competitive but not too cheap!), self assessment advice, approaching schools etc, Thanks in advance.

2. ITrunaway

ITrunaway New commenter

I'm not sure about London rates. My head mentioned the other day that supply teachers cost £200-£220 a day. So there's a ball park for you. Good Luck!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

As regards the legal side of self-employment there are plenty of threads.

The reason I'm working through agencies is because I couldn't manage the problem of marketing to a lot of schools. You really need to get on well with the Cover Organiser in each one so she picks up the phone to you at first. Agencies crack this problem by ringing round constantly and visiting but they promise a large number of available staff(honestly or not), you can only promise yourself.

Can't comment on London but if you're a teacher at the moment then ask the only occupants of the staff room, they're supply. Also ask the Cover Organiser in your school what the going rate is.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Not sure what marketing you are talking about. I sent a cv out four times a year to the schools I would work in within 30 mins drive. That was it. I never buttered anyone up or took the head out for lunch. My rate last year was £240 a day teaching maths or computer science up to A Level. I would only take contracts of a minimum a month, and had in writing details like, an extra half day for anything after 4.30am, max one meeting a week, max one duty at break and one at lunch, no performance management but they are welcome to watch a master show his craft anytime etc etc. Everyone was clear, I’d earn a packet via my company, no agency and easy. As someone else said, search these forums. This question has been answered ingreat detail repeatedly, going back years.