1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self employed Functional Tutor/private tutor advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lindster, May 3, 2018.

1. Lindster

Lindster New commenter

Hi, just after a bit of advice please. I’ve worked in FE for over 20 years but always as an employed member of staff (training provider and a college)Recently I’ve become aware of self employed functional skills tutors. A couple of organisations have offered me hours on a self employed basis.
    Obviously this is a big risk moving from a contracted post to self employment so I’d really appreciate any views/opinions on those who have done it. I’m presuming it’s different to a private tutor as you still work for a company? Thankyou in advance!

2. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

I went through the 'tutor pages' site where you host a Linkedin style profile and state your costs and availability. Costs about 40 quid a year and I've had good business.

Lindster likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If you get the employment, it will give you some control over working hours and conditions.
    My experience of self-employed contracts is that it's an opportunity for the employer to avoid pension commitments and sick pay.
    You would need to think carefully about saving for your older years. You will alos need to keep careful accounts for the tax man.

Lindster likes this.
  4. Lindster

Lindster New commenter

Thankyou both. Something to think about but think I will hold onto my contract for now!