1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self directed school Experience

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by wyrdsister, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dear James
    Iam starting a P/T PGCE in March and I need to find 5 days school experience inafter Easter.

I could easily do it at the school where I am a T/A at present or even at my son's school but I would prefer to go to schools that would offer specific settings for which I have no experience. E.g. a school where a large section have English as an additional language. Or an inner city school.
    How do you think it would be best to approach them. Should I include a personal statement or CV with a covering letter? Should I offer to volunteer to work for them? If I do will I still have the opportunity to observe. We have some exciting and award winning schools in my area but one has turned me down saying they already have enough students and work experience and I would like to set the right tone

2. Dear James
    Iam starting a P/T PGCE in March and I need to find 5 days school experience inafter Easter.

I could easily do it at the school where I am a T/A at present or even at my son's school but I would prefer to go to schools that would offer specific settings for which I have no experience. E.g. a school where a large section have English as an additional language. Or an inner city school.
    How do you think it would be best to approach them. Should I include a personal statement or CV with a covering letter? Should I offer to volunteer to work for them? If I do will I still have the opportunity to observe. We have some exciting and award winning schools in my area but one has turned me down saying they already have enough students and work experience and I would like to set the right tone

3. In order to gain experience. I sent an email out to a named contact to around 20 schools. I mentioned my background, that I have an enhanced CRB, that I am offering my time X days a week for how long as a volunteer TA and to possibily observe lessons. Out of 20 emails I got two placements and they have proved very useful (one placement in a secondary and one in a primary).

I hope that is helpful. Have you tried contacting the TDA as they maybe able to help also.

Good luck

4. I sent out a brief letter explaning I was thinking of doing teacher training and asked could I come in to observe some lessons - I had 3 schools reply within a few days which I visited and then more offers after that I had to turn down as I could not get any more time off my current job!

5. Thanks for your replies. It looks like I am doing the right thing. I've just been unlucky so far so I will just keep sending out letters.