1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Self-directed learning in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dreuitt, Feb 28, 2018.

1. dreuitt

dreuitt New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have just started my NQT year as a French teacher in an independent school. They have a huge push on self-directed learning across all year groups, 7-11 and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of SDL. We are supposed to ask a "big question" which could take the students a lesson or a series of lessons to tackle but I'm struggling with ideas especially for the younger students who haven't had much French teaching yet.

Any ideas welcome!!!

2. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

"What's the meaning of life?"

That should keep them occupied for a while.
  3. mpillette

mpillette New commenter

While "big questions" are a useful approach in some subjects (e.g. RE), they are not so relevant to the MFL context (... why do some schools insist on approaching all subjects in the same manner?!?). How about opting instead for a mini-project at the end of each unit of work (e.g. sometimes it might be devising a poster/brochure re. X topic in which pupils can 'show off' what they have learnt so far; some independent reading; selecting a couple of poems and learning them independently for performance purposes; etc.). A good idea is to explain about the mini-project as you start the unit, then make references to it as appropriate during the unit so as to keep pupils' minds focussed on it.

Best of luck,

4. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

What is this 'big questions' rubbish anyway? I'm guessing it's some new bee-in-the-bonnet fad.

Just teach them! It worked before. No teachy no learny.
  5. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

You should have a look at the language futures project .
  6. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

Wow ... the Language Futures Project. If anyone requires an inexhaustible supply of bulshyt (eg "transforming school into a learning commons for which teachers, students and the local community share responsibility, over which they share responsibility and from which they all benefit) then this is the place to go.