1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Selectively feeding birds

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jun 5, 2012.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

My wife is always putting out seeds for the birds, but the pigeons seem to be the only ones that get a look in. I noticed we had a couple of tiny robins in the garden earlier, but a fat pigeon turned up and chased them off.
    Now I know that pigeons need food, but so do all the other birds. Are there any keen bird feeders with suggestions for how to balance this out a bit?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

My wife is always putting out seeds for the birds, but the pigeons seem to be the only ones that get a look in. I noticed we had a couple of tiny robins in the garden earlier, but a fat pigeon turned up and chased them off.
    Now I know that pigeons need food, but so do all the other birds. Are there any keen bird feeders with suggestions for how to balance this out a bit?

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Put out poisonous seed until you kill off all the pigeons then you won't have this problem[​IMG]
    Would a bird table with a low roof work?
    I don't put out food for the birds because I'd be inundated with seagulls. It would be good if we could selectively feed them. I'd only feed **** and robins because they are little and cute. I'm a bit scared of birds - I don't like the beady eyes.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It's like the welfare state, if you want to help the weak you have to put up with the greed of clever scroungers.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It's like the Captalist state; a few big bullies sweep up more than they need with no regard for the needs of others. If they tolerated each other there would be enough food for all of them, but instead they fight and compete, wasting much of the food in the process.

7. v12

v12

It's like the Communist state; a few big unelected bullies thinking that they can stop competition and greed by regulating what everyone eats.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I didn't know pigeons were that organised!

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

hmmm, sounds like ethnic cleansing to me [​IMG]

10. Hanging feeders, especially on quite bendy branches, and a small roofed bird table would solve the problem.

11. v12

v12

I was referring to the humans!

12. The pigs told them what to do.

13. v12

v12

Ahh. The police state.