1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

selective mute spoke for the first time at nursery today

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missh27, Jan 5, 2012.

1. really pleased, a boy in my nursery is a selective mute and hasnt spoken in school since he started in september, today he spoke for the first time in a small group situation in a separate room.
    Then he kept on talking throughout the day, still very quiet, but still a breakthrough.

I'm really pleased and just wanted to share

Miss H

2. hsz06rgu

hsz06rgu New commenter

Congratulations!! We have a child in our school who is similar, except we haven't been as succesful. We have made small steps - they will now answer questions with a yes or no response, will read very quietly in group reading and is more than happy to talk to their friends! They are Year 1. Like I said, small steps to us, but massive to them!
    I think this is such a misunderstood area, and one that I don't begin to claim to understand properly, but it's lovely to hear sucess stories. Keep going, and fingers crossed he will be a chatty little one by the end of the year.

3. I've taught 2 elective mutes in my time. The first, a girl spoke whilst with me (Y1) and the second a boy spoke in Y2.
    I remember the first time the boy read something out in assembly many of the staff were in tears. It was such a breakthough!
    Lou

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's a great feeling when they choose to speak that very first time isn't it.

5. Loony tunes

Loony tunes New commenter

Woo hoo! The selective mute in my class is ever edging nearer and I can't wait for the day he speaks. Fantastic, well done!

6. Hope the day comes soon
    He's been speaking again today - finally can begin assessing him, he's now saying numbers, colours etc :)

7. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Congratulations, that's lovely to hear!
    I have a little lad in my class who is a selective mute and I am finding that it links more and more to his home situation. Mom and Dad are both VERY quiet people and barely acknowledge their children, let alone staff. This little lad appears very angry a lot of the time but he is slowly beginning to open up to me with a variety of gestures - mainly nodding or shaking head for yes and no and he has 'whispered' on occasions but I've never been able to understand and if I ask him to repeat that when he goes quiet again. I've chosen to do lots of 1:1 work with him so fingers crossed!

8. susbo

susbo New commenter

I am so pleased to share your news, well done; I also have a selected mute in my class. Just before Christmas I saw her smile at another child who was playing in the playground - such a breakthrough. My child won't even join in with any activity, hold a pencil, play in the sand or playdough nor will she eat in school so goes to mum in the car for her lunch. I know there is no magic answer and I try to spend time each day with her on my own and in a small group talking to her hoping for some acknowledgement or murmour/response. Is there anything particular that helped with you or triggered him to respond? I know details of her family/friends out of school/favourite toys/favourite colour/places where mum shops etc to talk about with her which I do. Any other ideas would be helpful.
    Thank you to anyone who replies.
    SB

9. He was beginning to open up to us before christmas, found out he was really into cars, and even saw him smile once when he was in a toy car.
    My TA took him into a quiet room with 4 others for a speech and language group, and they had to speak using a teddy, saying' what's your name?' when he was asked he answered with his name and then took the teddy and said 'what's your name?'
    since then he has spoken everyday at nursery, he is still extremely quiet and I have to get him to speak in my ear to hear him, but he is so much happier now and naturally smiles more and joins in with more activities, I think he was ready to talk, or that once he had spoken and we had heard his voice he felt he could keep on talking.