1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeting up group sessions

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by manu_frenchitalianlessons, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Hello everyone, I'm new here, I've been reading a lot of your posts, but I thought I'd write my own question to see if you had any good advice, I've been thinking about this for weeks and I still can't come up with a good solution! I haven't found other posts dealing with this but if I'm wrong, I apologize.

I'm a private tutor, and I've been teaching French and Italian for several years in Paris, France. I've mostly had one-on-one lessons, and sometimes couples or a small group of friends have come together for joint lessons.
    In the last couple of months requests for individual classes have dropped, but I've received many messages from people interested in group lessons. The problem is that these people don't know personally other students that may be interested, these have all been separate requests, for different times, levels, and languages.
    Since this is what I do for a living for now and I would love to keep doing it if I'm able, I'm creating my personal website and getting organized for skype sessions.
    However, I would really like to find a way to organize group lessons easily. My problem is that if one or more students don't turn up for the lesson or cancel with less than a 24 hours notice, I'm going to earn less than my usual individual rate.
    So how do you organize group classes? Do people buy a number of lessons for wich they pay in advance? what if you end up with only one person buying a set of group lessons?
    I would be curious to know how you organize these kind of things.

Many thanks,

Manuela

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

How about a policy that says something like (change numbers as you see fit):
    I am happy to offer group lessons for groups of 3-5 students, working at a similar level and with similar intentions,
    at a cost of £n per student for a block of six sessions. If you are interested, fill in this form/send me this information; I will let you know if there is a suitable group you can join, and if not, ask whether you would like me to let you know if a suitable group becomes viable.
    Take their details, language, level, intentions, and check with them at regular intervals whether they are still interested.
    I don't know how well it would work, but I guess that some people would be willing to wait a term or two to start - brushing up a language is not always time-critical. If you offer a fixed block of sessions, then you can ask everyone to pay upfront, and if after the first block, they want to continue, that's great, but you're not committed if there's only one left.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I teach languages
    I have a number of adult students who have previously attended group lessons and it had not worked out
    If I teach two together it's usually a couple who have maybe bought a house abroad or whatever so therefore common interest
    One time I taught two blokes who lift shared to work but actually didn't have anything in common. It didn't work
    Teaching languages enables me to work during the day rather than having to cram in everything in the early evening.
    Maybe look at where you're advertising , target clients who are retired / shift workers etc