1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SeekTeachers - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by lou1990lou, Nov 27, 2018.

1. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Hi everyone,

First of all, has anyone ever had any dealings with this recruiting company? Would they be recommended?

I recently found a couple of jobs that may be of interest to me on SeekTeachers .com
    I say "may" because I have no idea what the info on the school is (name, location... anything!)

I emailed the person on there asking for some info (telling them I would like to look at the school's philosophies etc) and they said that they could not give me the schools name until futher along the process and they said "Once we have secured an interview between your self and the school, we will be able to give you a full insight into the schools ethos and philosophies."

To me, it makes no sense whatsoever to do it like this: surely they want someone that is actually interested in their school??
    Am I too paranoid to be getting warning
    bells from this?
    (and I mean LOUD warning bells)
    None of the adverts on there appear to hold any information except very generic info.

Thank you.

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Tes will probably pull this thread because you named an agency
    I think you could be over reacting.
    They probably just want to avoid you contacting the school directly and them losing their finders fee.

3. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

I registered with them a few years back. Initially I was impressed - they contacted me to arrange an interview with one of their consultants who asked me some education related questions and they had a range of jobs to suggest to me.

However, I've noticed that the jobs on their website are repeated- if you search and scroll through you'll see the same posts listed time after time. They also seem to advertise for schools whose salaries are on the low side for whichever country they happen to be in.

And recently I've had other strange emails from them, from refer-a-friend and earn money, to freelance with Uber of all things, to working from home as a 'virtual' recruitment consultant. I find it a bit off-putting.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Agreed. I wouldn't be afraid of them, but they aren't great. Unless you have some reason to fly low on the radar or aim for low-to-medium schools, choose a more established agency.

5. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Yep - I had a similar experience where no information was shared until I had an interview. The salary offered was less than half what I was expecting, and closer to a local wage than an expat package. It also turned out that the school I thought I applied to weren't interested so the agency just passed me to a different school. It was all a bit confusing.

6. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

I signed up with them and put in applications for some jobs, but never received even an acknowledgement let alone an interview. I was offered interviews for every job I applied for through other adverts/agencies, so it seemed odd that nothing came of anything through Seek. A cynical person might say that at least some of their advertised jobs don't actually exist and that they're just fishing for people who might suit other posts they have available. The only people I know who've got jobs through Seek are teachers who are less experienced or otherwise less desirable to schools, and none of them got the job they actually applied for - they were all contacted by Seek to say that the post they'd applied for had just been filled, but that another post had just come up that they might be interested in, and it always turned out to be in a school with a poor reputation/low pay/other reason for unpopularity or a temporary post.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sounds even more promising.

8. mrjack

mrjack New commenter

As said before, loads of repeat adverts. Very difficult to find current adverts. They also tried to push me into going somewhere I told them I had no interest in.

9. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Thanks everybody.
    When I posted this, I didnt actually realise (very ignorant of me!) that Seek was a recruitment agency.
    Even though they have explained why, and i understand why the don't name the school, it still makes me uncomfortable the small amount of info the have on the schools and their packages.
    I have spoken to a recruiter and they have sent me through an outline of their CV document - my c.v is alreasdd laid out in the exact same way so this is a little irritating!

10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

"We need a name that tells everyone we're a recruitment agency. Like, there's no way anyone could ever mistake our intentions"

"OK, how about Seek Teachers?"

"Brilliant. There can't possibly be a single mixup, surely"

:p

rosiecg likes this.
  11. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Yep, sarcasm taken and laughed at!
    I honestly see my stupidity but having never really used a recruitment agency I hadn't thought about it.
    As well as other personal issues!

But hey, you learn a new thing everyday

Even then, I still find it fishy that they don't give any information about the school whatsoever. It makes me very uncomfortable. I thought the point of recruitment agencies are to recruit, and how can you genuinely tell the agency you want to go ahead with an interview if ou know nothing about the school you are applying to?
    I recently sent an application through Guardian Jobs and the job post was using another recruiter, after giving her the information of my goals, wants and needs etc she sent me the link to the school's website so I could tell her if I would be interested in applying for that specific job still.

Nearly a week after asking for info and having a couple of different convos with Seek, they still will not give any details about the school unless the school themselves are interested.

12. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

I asked one of my INDIAN colleagues if he got this job though SEEK Teachers...and I realized as soon as I'd said it... ;) luckily he has a good sense of humor!

rosiecg likes this.
  13. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

I've heard of them, but I'd never use them simply because they are so cagey about saying the name of the school. I've used agencies, and usually after the initial conversation they will give you the name of the school - and at that point they're quite happy for you to say "no" to the school or location. Sounds like a bit of a dumping ground for schools who can't / won't go through someone like Search or ISS?

dumbbells66 likes this.