1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking strategies to minimise challenging behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by MissBap, Apr 7, 2020.

1. MissBap

MissBap New commenter

Hi there,

A pre-service teacher here. Just wondering if anyone had any go-to strategies which they use in the classroom to minimise challenging behaviour? Specifically related to lower Primary K-2. I am looking for strategies which can be successfully implemented in one term. I am happy to take on board any other useful strategies. This is in relation to the AITSL Standard 4.3.1 Manage Challenging Behaviour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. barthd

barthd New commenter

Hey.

I am a firm believer that any behaviours you wish to become the social norm in your class need to be taught and reinforced by small, unpredictable and meaningful praise. (Some good theory support these points).

I would suggest planning in some time (perhaps circle times as lower KS2) to address any occurring behaviours as a reactive strategy. In terms of being proactive I would set clear boundaries/expectations from the start, with a whole class charter (their input is important) and refer to it frequently/consistently.

In the schools I support, we use behaviour mistakes as a learning tool, and as a whole class learning tool if appropriate. This is supported through restorative conversations... this strategy is slightly longer than a term though.

I hope some of this has helped. Happy to help in any way I can.