1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

seeking school support for GTP

Discussion in 'Music' started by adi80, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am hoping to pursue a GTP course in secondary music and am in the process of finding a school to support my application. I've only just made first point of contact with local schools to visit the departments and meet the Heads. I am prepared to sell myself as a teacher(I am currently a peri) but I'm unsure about how to breach the subject of them hiring me as an unqualified teacher. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.
    I do currently teach in a few secondary schools, one of which I would love to stay with for the GTP programme, however they are all a decent communte away and of course I'd rather be closer to home.
    Cheers for help in advance!

2. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I did something similar a couple of years ago, and the good news is that you can do it, because I did. I was coming out of HR, so you should manage as you're already working in a musical capacity.

I sent a letter to each school in my local area, with my CV attached and then followed up with phonecalls. If you can call the schools to find out whether they have someone in charge of initial teacher training then that will help you in knowing who to address the letter to. If you don't get a name, send it to the headteacher/principal. Let me know if you'd like any further help!
    S