1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking help on the Year 12 extended project

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by dm5149, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hi folks,

I wondered if anyone was starting the extended project with Year 12 or 13 and what have to done to kick it off. How have you started the taught element of the course on research skills and essay writing.
    Thanks in advance for any comments.

2. Yes am doing it. First proper lesson last week looking at how to come up with an effective question or hypothesis. This week we will be looking at planning and organising. Can send you my SoW if you like. Leave me your e-mail address if you would like it.

3. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I'm hoping to introduce the course to year 12s from sept 2010. I was wondering how many hours a week different schools/colleges allow for teaching EPQ? How big are your class sizes? Are you letting students choose any topic they wish? Any advice appreciated.

4. I have between 30 and 40 hours for teaching (AQA recommend at least 30 if I remember rightly). Then the supervisors are getting about 10 hours each to do their bit. The rest of the 120 glh should be independent work apparently!!!!
    We are doing ours with a 2nd year Media group and they have been encouraged to decide on a media related topic but am supposed to be starting with AS students after Christmas and they will get a free choice. The Media group is of 21 students and many of the AS classes will be of a similar size I think - if it is offered to all of them rather than a selected number.
    I have to say that the co-ordinator training I went on was very useful - unusual I know but it was!!! I would recommend anyone to go as it really clarified things.
    If there is anything else I can help with, let me know!!!!

5. Did you know that you can get help free which includes someone coming in to your school/college and offering 1 to 1 face to face support. As I say this is free.
    Also you can have a look at the General Qualifcation Support Programme which you can access from www.14-19support.org
    There is a forum and there are also resources with plans to add more too.

6. Hi Chatolee

I wonder if you would be prepared to share your SoW with others on the new forum for extended project which you can find at www.14-19support.org in the 'General Qualification Support Programme Section?
    We are trying to build up a bank of resources for extended project qualification on this site.

7. I will take a closer look at the site. I am not sure I am confident enough to share my approach to the Project just yet. Because of the set-up at ours, things are not quite going as planned - and I am Co-ordinator which makes it slightly more concerning! Students are fine, it's just the set-up which might need fine-tuning!!!

8. Please can you send your SoW to me as im looking for resourses for a October 2011 start.

Email: Ross_Corkell@hotmail.com.

Thanks