1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking help and sympathy threads

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Dec 2, 2015.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Anyone else noticing the sudden occurrence of these from "new" posters. they pop up with some massive sob story about their job/wife/husband/kid/ baby and milk the nice posters for sympathy. Call me a hard-nosed b*stard but I don't believe any of them. The TES thought police had the opportunity to prevent all the trolls from slithering out from under their bridges and slithering on to here, but they haven't. The usual slimeballs are back again, and some of you are falling for it.

Cynical? Moi?

2. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Jacob, a cynic is what an idealist calls a realist;)

kibosh likes this.
  3. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

It isn't for me to call you anything Jacob, but you said it. I have noticed that you color the forum negatively most of the time. I thought that that was one of the things trolls are supposed to do.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Just because I had a dig at you about use of COLOUR and other Yankisms. THAT is what trolls do! Take it personally.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I treat all posts as genuine until such time as they are PROVEN to be otherwise.
    I can understand a certain cynicism but won't let it colour my responses

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

No worries about them being always from "new" posters?

7. Erin_Rhys

I didn't Jacob. I said at the time that you British are so funny. You seem to be the one taking it personally:) God bless.

8. Didactylos4

I rarely notice the "age" of posters on here as I have seen some appear whose names are clearly part of TES history (from my research) but appear listed as either new posters or occasional posters because they haven't posted much since TES changed

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Ha! Ha! Please continue to share your anecdotes and wisdom with us. We are SO backward over here we don't even speak your language.

10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The words "new poster" are often a giveaway I find ......

11. Erin_Rhys

What a strange thing to say. You use derogatory terms to describe American. Why is that? I am actually Dutch, and love the British. I think you are firing blanks for no reason at all.

12. Erin_Rhys

And you too would have been one once:)

13. Didactylos4

Well you aren't new so I will bow to your experience
    But I won't change how I respond

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It's rare that I read an OP and immediately assume that it's a troll. People do sometimes want to offload or ask for advice and I take it at face value until it's apparent it's not.

Probably naive!

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

One of my favourite quotations comes from Forster's 'Howard's End':

"You remember 'rent.' It was one of father's words--Rent to the ideal, to his own faith in human nature. You remember how he would trust strangers, and if they fooled him he would say, 'It's better to be fooled than to be suspicious'"

If I feel an onset of cynicism, I think of this.

chelsea2, cuteinpuce and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  16. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Meh, if the only way someone can get their kicks is by spending their time making up fake stories to elicit sympathy from complete strangers on an anonymous forum, then to be honest, I do genuinely feel sorry for them.

17. Erin_Rhys

I am sure that it happens, but it is unlikely to be common; most probably someoene who is depressed or with a more serious mental illness that has gone untreated. The way Jacob talks, it's as though every new poster is one of these.

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I don't know whether to laugh here at your deliberate joke, Erin, or to giggle at your lack of understanding, as a non-native speaker, of one of the most common meanings of this phrase in informal speech.

:D

Either way, I enjoyed it, so thank you!

Best wishes

19. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

20. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter