1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking guidance of NQT / Teachers

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by joshooaahweb, Oct 4, 2018.

1. joshooaahweb

joshooaahweb New commenter

Hey! So I'm looking to move into teaching full time with previous experience at summer schools in UK teaching EFL kids with Education First (two summers) and experience with online teaching (approx six months). I have a TEFL and a undergraduate degree in Film & TV Production.

What is the next and appropriate step for someone in my position moving to South London/Surrey in November? Would it be best to jump into a PGCE, start applying to schools directly or is there another option out there?

All advice welcome!

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Classroom teaching in the current climate is going to be far removed from your experience of summer schools and online teaching - those kids either want to be there or your are teaching smaller groups in a more informal manner. Are you teaching primary or secondary? If secondary, what will your subject be and do you have sufficient knowledge or skills from your degree to cope with the demands to teach up to GCSE or A level? You are moving to a very expensive part of the country, have you the finances to support yourself and have a bit of a life.

As with the advice I give to all prospective teachers, get some classroom experience in a real school and talk to other teachers before committing yourself fully to a teaching career.

Gsr25 likes this.
  3. joshooaahweb

joshooaahweb New commenter

I'm aiming to teach secondary school kids yes, I'm assuming that I'd have to branch off and teach English as there no doubt aren't many media teacher vacancies, and assuming I'd have to take a further qualification to be able to teach in that environment either English or a Media teaching role?

I think I'd have to jump into evening work too within the catering industry to which I have many years experience to be able to accommodate for my move to the south.

So you'd advise becoming a TA first?

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Possibly. It just seems to me that although you've had some teaching experience with TEFL, it is going to be very different from teaching English to GCSE and A-level. You may be teaching groups of 30 or more students lower down the school and you will need some English expertise for GCSE and A-level. Then there is the marking, planning, organisational and disciplinary issues to deal with.

I would approach some local schools and ask if you can spend a day or possibly longer observing and talking to the teachers about the work. Teaching can be a brilliant job and I hope it works out for you but, as you will read from these forums, it can also break you. Just make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for.

patternandsurface likes this.
  5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hmm. I'm not sure what your degree would allow you to teach. English and Drama most likely - I've only worked in one school with an actual discrete Media Studies department, and that only consisted of two staff.