1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Pirandello, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Pirandello

Pirandello New commenter

Hi I have been supply teaching for 2 years and although its been good and Im earning some pretty good money i did supply for a reason abd following doctors advice have resigned from a perm post due to work stress related sickness.

I am now getting my mojo back and have been apolying for part time posts. I have an interview however on seeing the details it will last a whole school day. I really take issue with this. Is this now notmal procedure? This is a day of my life where im not getting paid. I find it extraordinary that it takes a whole day to suss out a teacher???? I would really like advice on whether this is standard practice and im in two minds whether to accept. My reaction when i read the details was 'really?' Why?

2. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Absolutely normal practice sadly - if you want a job then sadly you are going to have to deal with it

3. Pirandello

Pirandello New commenter

oh dear, its got that then, I am reminded as to why I supply....hmmmmm

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I find your reaction quite odd. Wouldn't you want to spend a whole day at a school you'd be in for a foreseeable future? I wouldn't want just an interview and a lesson observation. I would want to see what the 'average' school day looks like. I would want to see the behaviour of pupils, how staff interact with pupils and colleagues, what the management's like, etc. You can't suss out a school based on one interview and a 15 minute lesson with a class you may not even be assigned to. I say it's for your benefit, rather than theirs. The unpaid bit sucks but, if you only see about a fraction of what the school is like, you can't really see whether it will be a good fit for you. Likewise, from the school's perspective.

phlogiston likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Because the school wants to get the right person and can afford to pick and choose.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I've only had a few part day interviews, some them ones where I didn't want the job and withdrew before the end.