1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice on HT post

Discussion in 'Governors' started by kilo_watts, Apr 3, 2018.

1. kilo_watts

kilo_watts New commenter

Hello everyone. I want to ask for some advice. I am an OTT but managed to top-up my bachelor degree in Education in one of the Russell Group's universities. I was supposed to start my QTS just after I finished my B.Ed but I was asked to leave by UK's immigration officials because my former employer filed the wrong paper for my work permit and leave to remain.

After a long litigation, I decided I want my peace of mind and sanity and decided that leaving England would be best. This was 10 years ago. I am on my first headship in an international school where I can see that I am making a difference (taking out the school on deficit, improving infrastructure by building new classrooms, swimming pool, hall, cafeteria/tuck shop, and improved exam results and morale of my staff - parents described the school as happy school). The school is using a modified National Curriculum and we use Cambridge International as our exam board.

However, the last 10 years I have been hopping from one continent to another, I met lovely people who are mostly British. They became an extended family to me and they have all been encouraging me to find my first headship in the UK so we can all live happily ever after. I am not concern so much about OFSTED as I have been observed twice (my grade was 2 bordering 1) so I know how it works plus I do enjoy being inspected, pressure, and my calming nature seems to work well with my staff . However, I have several trepidation:

- Will I be considered as a potential candidate though I am third national without QTS?
    - How bad is the paperwork in terms of the need to comply with the government's bureaucracy? (I lived in a continent before where red tape, corruption, bureaucracy, and winging everything was the norm)
    - I am Asian. What's the climate like in schools where the head is non-native English speaker and an immigrant?
    - How are the students in the UK these days? I have been reading a lot about behavioural issues and it sounded like there are feral children these days. Is this info correct?
    - Would it be better to start applying for a deputy headship, take NPQH to upgrade and update my qualifications, and move forward as Head of School from there?
    - Opinion/s on MAT (My first teaching post in England was in a school where they were converted into an academy last September 2005 - three schools were merged).

I know it is a mammoth task to go back to England and the odds of me being not able to find a job is astronomical and I am pragmatic about it. However, any word of advice, constructive criticism, and info would be appreciated.

Many thanks and looking forward to everyone's advice.

2. kilo_watts

kilo_watts New commenter

P.S. I do not want to run an Outstanding school. I want to run a school that requires improvement or inadequate.

3. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

You are probably better off posting this in the "Jobseekers" forum, as although Governors would be the ones who appointed you, a lot of what you ask is better answered by teachers or HR professionals.
    Everything else aside, you mention a long litigation process with the Border Agency, I would suggest your first move would be to check with them if you could get a work visa, as until you know that everything else is a moot point.

4. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

You say you don't have QTS. You cannot be employed in the state sector without QTS. Tt may be different in academies and the private sector however.

5. kazzy73

kazzy73 New commenter

Im chair of an academy and a trustee of a MAT, we would also require QTS, am currently looking at appointing a new head to our academy this week.