1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking Advice: Not happy anymore...

Discussion in 'US – Staffroom' started by shadyleafytree, Apr 2, 2018.

1. shadyleafytree

shadyleafytree New commenter

I have been teaching for about 7 years now. I started off teaching adult education classes for ESL students and I loved it, but the pay was extremely low and I just couldn't afford to teach those classes. I then moved on to teaching secondary education and I loved it at first, but in the past three years I have just started to dislike it. There are some good days, but I feel like they are few and far between. I have thought about switching schools (again) but the last two years I have done that and the feeling always comes back about second semester.

At any rate, I often dream of having a desk job where I push papers all day because I have become so stressed with teaching it is affecting my health. My diet is terrible, my blood pressure isn't good and I have to take medication, and I have had worries as to how this will affect me in the future. Particularly, in the next year my husband and I want to have another child and we already have a preexisting condition that will complicate the birth....

The thing is, I don't know how to get OUT of teaching. I have a M. Ed. and 7 years of experience, so I am not exactly on the lower end of the payscale and yet I'm worried that I'm only qualified for entry-level work which will be much less than I make now.

So...any advice to help me move on?