1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice about working overseas!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tigerbaba, Feb 16, 2012.

1. tigerbaba

tigerbaba New commenter

My wife and I are both teachers in our late 40s. We are thinking to work overseas as we don't have other family responsibilities in UK. I don't know which countries are good for working as teachers. Can someone give me some advice based on their experiences? Much appreciated. We are both UK qualified and have over 10 years experience of teaching in primary and secondary.

2. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

My wife and I have been in Spain for over 30 years teaching at two different international school and we love it here. You would have to accept a very considerable cut in salary to come here, though... I suppose it's a trade-off between money and life-style...

3. Middle east, far east, South America, Africa, China, Europe.... Where would you like to go? Scenery, culture, money - what are the main reasons for going? Often money means no culture - Saudi, Kuwait, Dubai, Doha. Or if you are lucky (like me), you get both. Not that I am big into culture...
    I have PM'd you an overseas agency as the thread might get pulled if I name it. It is pretty much regarded as the best one.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

If FP is urging you to search for an agency that is one way to do it. That's one way some teachers Cope but you may not want to Harry into it.
    Go through the TES pages and see which places appeal.
    My opinion:
    • If you have no UK commitments go to SE Asia; Thailand is fabulous but many low paying schools, Malaysia is fantastic and the cost of living is very low, Singapore is OK.
    • If you need money and don't care about what goes on around you the Middle East is the place to head.
    • Spain has plenty of schools, but salaries are very low on average and the economic situation there doesn't help.
    • Africa is fine if you are desperate
    • South America is varied, often low pay but full of culture.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

All good advice.
    It may be worth pointing out in addition that there are many other countries in Europe apart from Spain; that all of these countries are blessed with culture and several with sunshine also; that generalisations about wages can obscure some very good packages in surprising places; and finally that there are few signs, yet, that the economic situation is hurting International Schools.
    Even my correspondents in Greece are saying that things aren't quite as grim as the press would have it.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent the OP a PM and an e-mail. Hope they are helpful!