1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice about Kenya

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by norwichred, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:36 PM.

1. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

so I am in discussion with a certain recruitment agency who seem to recruit for second tier jobs, but people here have generally seemed to say that they are ok. The clue is there if you know where to look.

They have advised me that there is a possibility of a position in Kenya but at this stage they won’t tell me the name of the school, which I suspected would be the case.

They have advised me to submit my CV and stated that if the school was interested then they would initially interview me either face to face in London or via Skype and if that went well then they would fly me to Nairobi for three days to interview with the governors and see the school and possible accommodation. Accommodation isn’t provided but an allowance is as part of the package as is 75% off fees for up to 2 dependents. We have two children.

So I guess I’m interested in the agency, and the country for families if anyone has any advice.

I must admit that I was sceptical but people who have read my other threads know that a top tier school is not really an option and I was quite surprised they were prepared to fly candidates out there for three days.

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Find out what 75% off the fees will shake out as - it could still be quite a lot. I went to Prep school in Nairobi late 80s/early 90s. It was a fabulous childhood.... but then my parents could afford the lifestyle... I'm not sure the same was true of all my teachers. Kenya is a stunning country and the people are generally pretty friendly. Nairobi is a mega-city these days, full of poverty and pollution, but with some lovely areas (Karen, Muthiaga, Lakeview, Lavington) - it will be eye-opening in many ways, not all of them pleasant.

Crikey, if the school is willing to fork out to fly you in and put you up I'd go anyway and see - not often you get that chance!

Good luck.