1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Seeds

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, May 16, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

My sweetheart had to attend the dentist's today and ended up with a sore mouth, poor girl. As it seemed unlikely she'd eat the pork joint I'd been defrosting, on the way back from the surgery and a 50 minute delay between trains we popped into the Tesco Express near the station to find an alternative she'd like.
    She decided she fancied some kippers, which we bought and when I asked what she'd like with them, she was at a loss. She asked maybe some mash and peas? I noticed they had some butternut squashes so I asked "How about some butternut squash mash?" which she jumped at.
    So preparing the squash, I gathered all the seeds and roasted them to dry out and store for something else, but it occured to me at the time that there are lots of other seeds I discard such as lemon or orange pips. Maybe tomato pips can be dried to some advantage? I have no idea.
    Who else here is mad enough to save squash or pumkin seeds? What else might you salvage?
    Incidentally, as she was still complaing about her mouth when I began cooking the squash, I asked if she'd prefer some butternut squash soup and she said she'd much prefer it. So I have a couple of kippers looking for a home in a recipe. Any good ideas? At the moment it's looking like kipper pate.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Orange and lemon pips are inedible, MM. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    Tomato seeds are edible, but I find it easier to eat the whole tomato rather than seed them and eat the seeds seperately. If a recipe calls for seeded tomatoes, I tend to ignore it. Life is too short to seed a tomato.
    A good rule of thumb might to think about the language used to describe the seeds, or more specifically, how the seed is presented, or encased.
    "Seeds" - Generally edible. Butternut squash. Sunflower. Sesame. Coriander. Passion fruit. Also cucumbers, tomatoes, courgettes etc. where you'd eat the seeds as part of the fruit. Although there are exceptions such as melon seeds (although confusingly, these are part of the same family as cucumbers and squashes).
    "Pips" - Generally inedible due to the protective coating. Apples. Lemons.
    "Stones" - The name provides a useful clue. You can try to eat them but you'll lose a tooth. Plums. Cherries.

I'm suggesting the above might be accurate, although I'll freely admit that I've made it all up.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

As children, my sister and I used to wash and dry out melon seeds to make necklaces with. It sounds ridiculous now that we eat melon on a regular basis, but then it was a rarer treat and the seed necklaces were part of the treat!

4. We did that too!
    I also remember that I planted an apple pip when I was 7 and the tree is still in the garden! (never any apples but it is pretty).
    My sister planted a melon pip at the same time and it grew into a huge triffid like thing which she then many years later even took to uni for her room!
    It lasted years as a pot plant (she was 4 when she planted it, so that will give you some idea of how long it lasted!)
    MM - the only seeds I bother saving are sunflower seeds - but they are for the birds [​IMG]
    I have roasted pumpkin seeds before but to be honest, I find the faff not really worth it when I can buy them fairly cheaply anyway.
    Nowadays they get dried on the window sill and daughter uses them as pearls or to make pictures or whatever else great craft idea she comes up with (which generally involves raiding the rest of my storecupboard).
    I am a great fan of seeds though - I use linseed (?) a lot, and poppy seed and I normally have a bag of mixed seeds in to sprinkle over a salad or add to some muesli.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I plant butternut squash seeds and have got some plane and 7 butternuts from them.