1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Securus

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dstokem, Jan 30, 2011.

1. dstokem

dstokem New commenter

Hi there
    Some one seems to have spent a great deal of money on this filtering software and it does not work very well. Actually not at all. IT seems to be a bit of a white elephant for £5000.
    What experiences has any one else had?
    Do you have it working properly.
    If so can I or my technicians pick your brains.
    Dave[​IMG]

2. dstokem

dstokem New commenter

Hi there
    Some one seems to have spent a great deal of money on this filtering software and it does not work very well. Actually not at all. IT seems to be a bit of a white elephant for £5000.
    What experiences has any one else had?
    Do you have it working properly.
    If so can I or my technicians pick your brains.
    Dave[​IMG]

3. Hi Dave,
    Securus is not so much filtering software but monitoring software. It picks up when banned words are typed on screen. We are using it successfully at our school. Let me know if you need to talk about it more.

Alistair

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

They came in and demoed it. We didn't buy into it.

5. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

As stated above this is not a filtering solution simply a monitoring one.
    As with all of this type of software it is only of use, if someone monitors the output/reports on a regular basis .
    Unfortunately most sofwtare of this type also suffers from numerous false positives - Google predictive search providing lots of these and can be prone to DoS style attack (I won't go into to details here) generating thousands of reports per hour.
    But for me the most worrying thing is that it seems to give people ,SMT in particular, a false sense of security - in my LEA the advisors always have some anecdote about how our monitoring software has caught siomeone doing ****/poker/bullying to relay at every meeting. which helps to stoke this
    As I keep pointing out : students spend very little of their total 'computer life' in school, mobile devices like blackberrys by pass the system altogether and if you are only ever going to catch the stupid or inept
    I can see the appeal for the sMT as it provides lots of reassuring soundbites for the parents governors etc. But I still firmly believe that education and mentoing not banning and monitoring are a much better way forward