1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secured first teaching post! What now? :-)

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by hats_hats, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I've secured a teaching post for September too as a reception teacher. I can't wait to meet my class, so far a transition day hasn't been arranged. I too am feeling like a small fish in a really big pond. I don't really know what to prepare but I have been looking at Sparkle Box and other similar things for inspiration. I keep seeing things too which I think 'that would look great in my classroom' (I haven't even seen my classroom yet!).
    For getting to know the children I was thinking of making 3d protraits using paper plates and wool and stuff. And taking a picture of each child to help them identify their peg or area of the cloakroom. As they're reception I would set up a large variety of activities and let the children choose what thakes their fancy! Good luck :).
    H x

2. What a great opportunity to have a blank canvas! Im moving schools and going from nursery to reception this year.
    Im going to make sure ive got some continuous provision in my room and things which I will use every day.
    • Writing table (the kids at my current school love this and use it a lot)
    • Role play
    • Maths Wall (Basicly an interactive display which you use with the whole class, 10 min every day, to re-visit things they have learnt and give them a chance to use their skills, so it will have a number line, shapes, days of the week etc)
    • Birthday display
    • book corner
    • malleable play area