1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secured a post for the remainder of the year through Protocol... Few concerns

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by secretstar, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi, this is my story!:

I qualified in July 2010 as a primary school teacher after completing the 3 year BA honours teaching degree. After attending many interviews for a September 2010 start and coming second to those with experience, I joined the supply agency 'protocol'.
    Protocol have found me regular daily supply in a wide variety of schools so on 1 hand I am very grateful to them. I have experienced teaching in a wide variety of schools and my confidence in the classroom has improved. However, early on I had a bad experience with Protocol.
    They found me a job in a year 3 class, 2 days a week doing a jobshare with the class teacher (also deputy head). This job was supposed to last until July 2011, however after just 6 weeks in the school it became more than clear that the role was not suitable for a NQT. The behaviour in the class was shocking (near south-east London) and the children very quickly came to realise that I wasn't even in school for most of the week and that I was young/new etc and I very quickly lost all respect. This knocked my confidence hugely as throughout my training I received very positive feedback and I know that I'm a good teacher.
    Anyway, the deputy head took me aside 1 afternoon during my 6th week at the school and we agreed that the jobshare wasn't working out. Protocol did not tell me that the class was known as 'the most challenging in the school' and that the deputy was their teacher purely because other staff members refused to work with the class! The class had children with severe SEN's and 54% had EAL. The TA only worked in the mornings and seemed to take an instant dislike to me. (The only time I've worked with an unfriendly TA)
    Since all of this happened, I've been working for Protocol on daily supply (which has built up my confidence again), I have worked in a nursery on a 0 hour contract and also another supply teaching agency who have been very good.

This week, I was doing supply for Protocol just for Tuesday morning. During morning break, Protocol rang practically begging me to attend an interview at a school 40 miles away from where I was working that afternoon! I agreed, fully believing that I wouldn't get the job but that it would be good interview experience.

As it turns out, I did get the job! It involves me working as a year 1 teacher from the Monday after half term until the end of the school year, full-time, through Protocol. The school seems wonderful - I went there yesterday to meet the staff, my new class, get a school email set up etc etc. I will have lots of support - a full-time TA and LSA. However, the school is 1-form entry so I will be in charge of year 1 (the year 2 teacher will be given PPA time with me and seems very friendly/supportive).

I asked Protocol if this will mean I can complete my first term of induction and they were very quick to tell me that 'no, this is supply work and will not count towards my induction.' I don't believe that this is right? I spoke to the head at the school about it and she was unsure of what needs to be done and said she will find out and get back to me.

I feel completely stressed - I'm happy on 1 hand that I have a job until the end of the year, (the head said she will release me to attend any interviews for September jobs) my class seem lovely and I'm keen to have my own class rather than doing supply with different children every day etc...

However, I know from previous experience with Protocol that they DO NOT seem to care where they send me - sometimes I'm sent to wonderful schools, sometimes they ask me to work in schools where the behaviour is out of my control and I have no TA support after I have requested to not go back there. They also encourage me to not work for anyone else (obviously now I have this job, I have had to tell the other agency and the nursery, which they are both disappointed about but took it well).

I just don't know whether or not I have done the right thing in accepting this job. I don't know what I'm entitled to, if anything, as I'm not employed by the school - just the agency. I asked the head if there was any opportunity of staying there come September but she was quite clear in saying that she intends to only keep me until the end of the year because it would cost a small fortune to release me from the agency! She did say that if I impress her she will recommend me to local schools that need someone in September and said I'm certain to get a job etc, but I'm confused.

How much do agencies charge schools to 'buy someone out'? I was not told about this when I signed up to work for Protocol. Can I find a job on my own and tell Protocol I'm not working for them anymore or is not as simple as that?
    Do I have any rights as a NQT or even as a member of staff at this school as he school don't pay me directly?
    Have I made the right choice!? Stressing out like mad! =(

2. Hi, this is my story!:

I qualified in July 2010 as a primary school teacher after completing the 3 year BA honours teaching degree. After attending many interviews for a September 2010 start and coming second to those with experience, I joined the supply agency 'protocol'.
    Protocol have found me regular daily supply in a wide variety of schools so on 1 hand I am very grateful to them. I have experienced teaching in a wide variety of schools and my confidence in the classroom has improved. However, early on I had a bad experience with Protocol.
    They found me a job in a year 3 class, 2 days a week doing a jobshare with the class teacher (also deputy head). This job was supposed to last until July 2011, however after just 6 weeks in the school it became more than clear that the role was not suitable for a NQT. The behaviour in the class was shocking (near south-east London) and the children very quickly came to realise that I wasn't even in school for most of the week and that I was young/new etc and I very quickly lost all respect. This knocked my confidence hugely as throughout my training I received very positive feedback and I know that I'm a good teacher.
    Anyway, the deputy head took me aside 1 afternoon during my 6th week at the school and we agreed that the jobshare wasn't working out. Protocol did not tell me that the class was known as 'the most challenging in the school' and that the deputy was their teacher purely because other staff members refused to work with the class! The class had children with severe SEN's and 54% had EAL. The TA only worked in the mornings and seemed to take an instant dislike to me. (The only time I've worked with an unfriendly TA)
    Since all of this happened, I've been working for Protocol on daily supply (which has built up my confidence again), I have worked in a nursery on a 0 hour contract and also another supply teaching agency who have been very good.

This week, I was doing supply for Protocol just for Tuesday morning. During morning break, Protocol rang practically begging me to attend an interview at a school 40 miles away from where I was working that afternoon! I agreed, fully believing that I wouldn't get the job but that it would be good interview experience.

As it turns out, I did get the job! It involves me working as a year 1 teacher from the Monday after half term until the end of the school year, full-time, through Protocol. The school seems wonderful - I went there yesterday to meet the staff, my new class, get a school email set up etc etc. I will have lots of support - a full-time TA and LSA. However, the school is 1-form entry so I will be in charge of year 1 (the year 2 teacher will be given PPA time with me and seems very friendly/supportive).

I asked Protocol if this will mean I can complete my first term of induction and they were very quick to tell me that 'no, this is supply work and will not count towards my induction.' I don't believe that this is right? I spoke to the head at the school about it and she was unsure of what needs to be done and said she will find out and get back to me.

I feel completely stressed - I'm happy on 1 hand that I have a job until the end of the year, (the head said she will release me to attend any interviews for September jobs) my class seem lovely and I'm keen to have my own class rather than doing supply with different children every day etc...

However, I know from previous experience with Protocol that they DO NOT seem to care where they send me - sometimes I'm sent to wonderful schools, sometimes they ask me to work in schools where the behaviour is out of my control and I have no TA support after I have requested to not go back there. They also encourage me to not work for anyone else (obviously now I have this job, I have had to tell the other agency and the nursery, which they are both disappointed about but took it well).

I just don't know whether or not I have done the right thing in accepting this job. I don't know what I'm entitled to, if anything, as I'm not employed by the school - just the agency. I asked the head if there was any opportunity of staying there come September but she was quite clear in saying that she intends to only keep me until the end of the year because it would cost a small fortune to release me from the agency! She did say that if I impress her she will recommend me to local schools that need someone in September and said I'm certain to get a job etc, but I'm confused.

How much do agencies charge schools to 'buy someone out'? I was not told about this when I signed up to work for Protocol. Can I find a job on my own and tell Protocol I'm not working for them anymore or is not as simple as that?
    Do I have any rights as a NQT or even as a member of staff at this school as he school don't pay me directly?
    Have I made the right choice!? Stressing out like mad! =(

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can find your own job but if you've been to that school through an agency they will still need to pay them a finders fee.
    You have the same rights as all NQTs and should be given a full induction if you are there longer than a term x

4. Hi
    Well done on getting the job.
    Protocol are wrong. ANY post that lasts for at least a term in length, full, part time, employed by the school/:A or an agency qualifies as an induction post for a NQT, unless it is in apivate school or other prohibited fromn offering induction (e.g. a PRU or school on special measures).
    By law the school (the head) must register you with the LA as a NQT on induction and you are entitled, by law, to the PPA reduction and the NQT reduction in contact time (19%) as well as an induction programme devised for you that meets your needs and the head must appoint an induction tutor who meets with you and who carries out regular assessment. Induction starts when you start at the school (it does not have to be at the start of a term) and who you are employed by is irrelevant.
    The full guidance can be found here and I suggest that the Head contacts the LA as soon as possible and also reads the statutory guidance as she has a lot of responsibility to ensure that your inmduction is fully supported.
    Many supply agencies peddle a myth that supply does not count for induction - this is only the case when it is daily supply in differnet schools or with differnet classes each day. If you are carrying out the duties of a teacher and have regular contact with a class or classes then supply or not, if it lasts a term or more it counts for induction.
    The guidance cabn be found here: http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/_doc/12703/080623%20Induction%20Statutory%20Guidance.pdf
    James

5. Hi,

You can certainly find a job on your own.
    I used to work for Protocol on daily supply. I applied for a job in a school that they'd previously sent me to and as I'd applied off my own back the school managed to employ me without paying the agency a finders fee.
    Protocol were the main supply agency for that school so in order to retain a good relationship with that school and as i'd applied through the local council without the school or the agency telling me about the vacancy the school didn't have to pay a penny.

Supply agencies are sharks so always double check anything they tell you and do what's best for you not them.

Good luck with it all.