1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Sector Standard" A level contact hours

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by David_Campbell, Sep 3, 2015.

1. So my college has reduced the contact hours for the AS and A2 Physics courses from 5 to 4 hours per week, along with biology, chemistry and everything else in other departments. 3 years ago it was 6 hours.

The guided learning hours I haven't been able to find (OCR), but there is a scheme on the approved electronic resources from Oxford that puts it at 30 weeks excluding the practical work. What hours per week this is I don't know; so I'm getting double short changed I think, not enough weeks and not enough hours per week.

The decision comes from central, saying that this is "sector standard".* Is it sector standard? How many hours do people get elsewhere? For any A levels.

And how are people planning to cope if they are in the same situation? This would be physics specific I guess.

*which is how they do with unpopular decisions, like giving the principle a 70% pay rise, leaving people down the payscale and temporary contracts vs permanent posts.

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

AS in Latin and A2 in both Latin and Classical Civilisation are 4-5 hours per week. I currently teach IB, Standard Level - 3 hours a week; Higher is 5 hours a week. Hope that helps....

Best wishes