1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

sectioning ,help/advice please

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by vikingmaid, Nov 1, 2011.

  1. I arrived home to find o/h 'sectioned' by police for his own protection and will see doctor tomorrow. He has been very depressed and this is the second time he has been in this state in a week. He has be 'managed' by GP, but I think he needs hospitalisation. How can I push this as they (gp)seem reluctant. obviously he is at risk if left.
  2. I'm sorry I have no experience or advice to give you. Just hugs and I hope someone else can give you more practical help.
  3. Thanks sashh. All this has been made worse by him insisting in going to work after being prescribed some antidepressants, and still feeling anxious, got OFSTED call and went in1 Was observed once, TA in class said he did a good job, kids worked well for cohort, inspector said it was inadequate due to some being off task! Final straw! 70% SEN in class and they take no context. I now have a husband who is very ill.[​IMG]
  4. anon2799

    anon2799 New commenter

    Just sending you big hugs. How ****. I feel for you x
  5. Lara mfl 05

    Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

    No answers, but just to let you know you're not alone in this.
    Presumably Ofsted contributed to his decline? He's not the first person to go downhill after such a visit based on one short 'observation'. Tell him to hang on to the TAs assessment, who knows the class far better.
    I don't quite understand why he was 'sectioned' and what they suppose doing about it, but I do know unless you 'make a nuisance of yourself' they probably won't do much.
    Take care of yourself and know that if he's depressed, part of him wants to 'shake himself out of it' but the depression itself prevents him doing so and that increases the depression. Love him and show him how important he is.
  6. Ruthie66

    Ruthie66 New commenter

    Hi Viking Maid have PM'd you
  7. Doglover

    Doglover Occasional commenter

    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by having been "sectioned" by the police.
    If you mean under the mental health act, it has to be 2 doctors and a social worker who sections someone. The police's role is to call them in.
    Has he been removed to a place of safety, and how did the police become involved in the first place?
  8. Yes, sorry my post is a bit confusing. He was sectioned (163?) for a place of safety and kept over night to 'dry out' having drunk a lot of spirits and was considered at risk of self harm. He saw crisis team today and they are going to see him at home. Just worried that we are accessing all help that he needs.
  9. Doglover

    Doglover Occasional commenter

    Will you be there when he sees the crisis team tomorrow?
    You know Vikingmaid, when someone is drinking, you can put in all the help and support you are able to, but if they don't do something about it themselves, nothing will change.
    You are in a very difficult position, but I am sure you don't need any of us to tell you that.
    As well as making sure he has access to everything he needs, remember that you have needs to and you need to look after those. xx
  10. Torey

    Torey Occasional commenter

    It is a 136. Not that it is an immediate concern, but be aware that this is considered 'soft' information that can appear on a CRB check if he leaves his current job.
    The crisis team will be involved for a short time and should refer him to CMHT for longer term support.
    What sort of help do you think would help at the moment? Is he in a position to be at work at the moment? Would it be better if he was signed off until things are more settled? There are respites that he can access, which may be an option. Best wishes.

  11. Hi Vikingmaid,
    Sorry to hear about your and OH's situations: his stress will be stressful for you in turn...
    and so on.
    I'm a mental health nurse as well as a teacher, so maybe I can help.
    To try and break the spiral, it will probably be best to use the community services (crisis team, CMHT etc) as hospitalisation notches the whole thing up a notch. And tbh, many inpatient units (I don't know where you are - they vary a lot, with London being - er, not the best) may be safe for people at severe risk, but are not peaceful and therapeutic places in which to develop strength and confidence.

    What other community-based support can you access? LA counsellor? Union counsellor? Parish priest? GP Practice nurse/CPN/counsellor? Neighbours/family...?But don't panic and use ANYthing - find something available, supportive and effective.
    (I'm assuming the repeated alcohol intake is only a result of depression & stress, as you seem to describe.)
    If it's of any comfort at this point, the section 136 on its own is not likely to be picked up in CRBs - the Police throw them around like confetti for people who need a place of safety.

    Would it be practical for you to take some time off work to support him for a bit? Your knowledge of psychology will be an asset
    Good luck.
  12. Thanks poor Tom,
    Things and calmed down..me too! O/H has finally recognised he needs rest and is working with us not against us! Has had a real wake up call, saying all the right things, time will tell. I agree that care 'in the community' is the way forward. I was around when this was introduced and was a bit sceptable! But we have now met with CMHT who have been really supportive.
    Am aware that my stress levels need monitoring, luckily have supportive department and will take time if needed tbh the fact that he is getting help and seems to take on board that things have been a problem for a while has been a hugh relief.
    Thanks for advice and concern.
  13. VM, I've PM-ed you.

Share This Page