1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Secret Teacher: I can't bear Ofsted so I'm going back to teach in Australia"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Morninglover, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yep makes sense to me.

Ofsted is not normal. It has complete distorted English teaching. It is a cancer at the heart of government. It has overseen a massive drop in educational standards and is completely unaccountable to the voters.

Scrap Ofsted.

3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You beat me to it FF. We might not be getting all those foreign teachers after all, if our system compares so badly with theirs.

Mangleworzle and lanokia like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I hope stuff like this is read abroad... just so all these foreign teachers [60 from Jamaica I read somewhere recruited] know the shitstorm they are heading into.

The piece echoes my experiences... that Ofsted are the catalyst for a shitstorm [word of the day] of management that is incompetent, useless and bereft of any good ideas.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

WOW! It says it all.
    I remember being that teacher, too.
    Teaching was great, teaching was fun; I was being paid to do something I loved.
    Those were the days, my friend....

petenewton and InkyP like this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Teaching... fun?

Hmmm... Ofsted will find a way to measure that.

aspensquiver likes this.
  7. drek

drek Star commenter

But Lanokia, the advantage to school boards is clear, If they are coming from countries where there are zero employment rights, they might think they are coming to paradise.
    It is all about perspective, which businesses are the first to exploit.
    Remember the 1990's when the big 5 supermarket chains, which own most of the global market distribution networks now, sowed the seeds of change.
    To implement the system of profit margins and massive renumeration packages for their boards of directors, all they had to do was be patient, and plant their own people across local councils. That took around 5-10 years but it was worth the wait for them, and probably the entire country, as shareholders, in some form or the other. (pension schemes)
    Once they did, suddenly land was easy to purchase to set up their massive stores, and today zero contract employment schemes are in fashion.
    If you look at teaching purely as a business, then everything they do follows on.
    Teachers are an easily replaceable expense, particularly since they are often the last to join the dots regarding policy changes and their own profession! By the time the worst anyone can imagine happens, it is too late for collective action.
    Seems all anyone has to do to sway teachers is to tell them how outstanding they are and can they do their bit to raise everyone else's standards. Easily distracted lot we are!

lanokia likes this.
  8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

They already do.

petenewton likes this.
  9. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

12. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

How long before Australia eventually caves in and goes the way of the US and OFSTED?

13. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

That's certainly how it is at our school. Half of my workload is compiling ongoing reports on teacher performance.
    Re Yoda - I've never seen those films but every time I hear that arrangement of words, it reminds me of Will in The Inbetweeners, failing to chat up a girl with "Feisty one you are!"

Yoda- likes this.
  14. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

All I want to see is these gutless box ticking terds complete a full term as a classroom teacher and then say what is right and all that is wrong in today's education system, unfortunately these cowards get out of the classroom asap claiming that they can impart their bull sh.. to others.
    Ofsted = pointless
    Wilshaw = useless idiot

cissy3 likes this.
  15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I believe a poster( @christophercurtis ?) used to post about Oz education, and how the teachers there were successful at retaining their more sensible working practices. But I could be wrong, as I'd only be having a quick lurk at the time.

lanokia and FolkFan like this.
  16. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

17. Katierobertson

Katierobertson New commenter

Whatever you do, don't come to NZ. It is heading that way very quickly.

18. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Ci
    s
    Cissy 3,

I don't post any more because the new improved site will not let me do so from my old computer. This is from my phone. English teachers have it bad but seem completely unable to do what we did here. They seem an oppressed dispirited politically naive whinging collection of victims. I'd love to say more but it is not convenient by phone and past efforts tell me there is no appetite for action. After all, fixing things is hard. Complaining on the Internet is easy. When we faced idiocy here, I acted. You lot have to do the same.

vinnie24 likes this.
  19. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Whilst I respect your point of view, I think you need to know the history and context here in more detail* to understand why UK teachers have become so de-powered. I saw it happen - I was a union Rep who led strike action in the mid-1980s - but (like so many others) retired early a couple of years ago. At the end of the day fighting a battle you can't win is a bad strategy?

* For example - if the miners could be defeated and humiliated, what chance did the teachers have?

HelenREMfan and lanokia like this.
  20. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

The opening sentiment re history/ context/ understanding is unexceptionable, but the complete failure on your part to supply any such history/ context whatsoever (save for a brief, passing reference to your own particular employment history) seems rather to undermine your "argument."

Rather!

As for your decision to mention specifically the Miners' Strike, it certainly strikes me as an invalid comparator.

Yes indeed it did take place whilst I too was teaching and a union acitivist and yes it was the biggest trade union battle in the UK in my lifetime, but given the massive differences, I cannot think of any reason whatsoever to pray this dispute in aid of justifying the permanently frit pose struck by the vast majority of the profession (sic) and by a clear majority of members of all the unions, my own NASUWT included, over the past 40 years or so.