1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Secret Santa ideas???

Discussion in 'Personal' started by travel n teach, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Agh the dreaded Secreta Santa time of yr has arrived yet again. This time I have to buy for a male member of staff! Any ideas what you can get a 30 yr old who's into music, golf and likes his wine , we have a £10 budget?
    Can't think of anything original and am determined not to settle for a bottle of plonk.

2. http://www.golf-gift.co.uk/Gifts-under-10.html

what about some thing from here - I like the look of the golfball monogrammer on page 2. Apologies in advance when this is all squashed together. I am using Chrome.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

4. A bottle of wine? Gold balls? Golf glove? Golf socks? A pair of nice glasses for tasting wine (you can get sets of Reidel in TKMaxx for a tenner)? There's loads of stuff!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A musical wine glass shaped like a golf tee?

6. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

A 'Swisscard'
    Like a swiss army knife, but instead of it being in a penknife form, its in a credit card sized pice of plastic that fits in the wallet.
    Have had a swiss army knife since I was 8, and the card is a bit more 'socially acceptable' these days.
    Just an idea

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How about an emergency kit? Buy the items first and then find a tin or box large enough to fit them all in.
    A small bottle of wine.
    A golf tee and golf ball.
    an elastoplast.
    a small roll of sellotape.
    a biro.
    aspirin/paracetemol.
    small notebook.
    tape measure.
    mini pack of buiscuits.
    bar of chocolate.
    small shampoo and small bar of soap (like those from hotels!).
    condom.

8. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Why not just a very nice bottle of wine?

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

We give daft little anonymous gifts before the Big Day, and that's part of the fun. I know that some of my colleagues hate the whole SS thing and do the minimum - and that doesn't seem to bear any relation to income - but you can do a lot to delight your secret santaree on a minimal budget if you set your heart to it.

11. kareneliot

kareneliot Occasional commenter

Membership of a dating agency?

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ouch.
    Am I alone in enjoying the annual SS ritual? I do hope not!

13. Hmmm, his wife might not approve lol
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions, will have a browse through the sites and see if there's anything that's suitable.
    T n T

14. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

Do you guys not open the present at a Christmas do?!

15. The worst secret santa I ever had was as a TA at a school I joined in November. There was a theme 'naughty or nice'. Eugh, shudder to think about. Anyway, I bought something nice and was really lucky to find something for £6 which fitted the bill perfectly. I was bought a very lovely, tame box of toiletries from ASOS.com which had 'naughty toffee shower gel' or something. It was bought by another female who also hated the theme, and didn't know me.

This year, I am a teacher in a new school, but there is no theme and the secret santa is someone who I would've bought a gift for anyway. Do I buy two gifts?

16. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

When in the same situation I did buy two gifts on the assumption that 'secret ' santa was intended to stay secret!
    I find this gift the most troublesome item I have to buy every year - personally, I would rather have a lucky dip with silly presents for only a couple of pounds - though at least we no longer have the 'must be funny' proviso - particularly difficult if you get someone you barely know and certainly very open to causing unintentional offence.

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Most people open them in the Staff Room on school Christmas Lunch day but this person is part-time and doesn't work on that day.

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It's the first time i have ever been in a SS thing and I wouldn't have minded apart from the fact that I had finished my xmas shopping and wasn't planning on going near town again. I must admit tho that I hate tat so even if it is only a fiver I want to buy something useful that the recipient will like. Was thinking of getting my lady some bulbs for the garden.